• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Rebuild or Replace?

kodathegreywolf

Well, I finally got to doing the timing on my '91 Toyota pickup and, well.... to my dismay the engine is pretty locked up. My question is shoud I rebuild or replace it? And if I replace it with a used and rebuild from there, will a 22r block work or is it different in someway,..like size or mounting configurations and such. Any info will be a great help, Thanks! -Alex

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Rebuilding an engine can be very rewarding, and it's usually much cheaper, but it's also very time consuming! I've done both - rebuild and replaced - and from my standpoint now, I would almost always purchace and replace and let someone else do the work of getting the engine right. That's just me though.

The size of your shop and the tools needed are pretty much not going to be much different, that is you will still need a good size shop, dedicated work space, etc. Just depends on what you want to do and how much time you have.

Schnoodle

I'd Go For Rebuilding

It is more cost efficient to rebuild the engine than replacing it as a whole. Replacing it with a different model engine would mean you would need to be ready with running into mounting problems. Mounts differ from one another.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Well, I finally got to doing the timing on my '91 Toyota pickup and, well.... to my dismay the engine is pretty locked up. My question is shoud I rebuild or replace it? And if I replace it with a used and rebuild from there, will a 22r block work or is it different in someway,..like size or mounting configurations and such. Any info will be a great help, Thanks! -Alex

Hi Alex, How are any updates, Did you go for the Rebuild or Replace?

Related Content You Might Like: