• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

question about my truck

Ken Michael

Need a bit of help with a '81 4 X 4: 22R engine, Needs carburetor work. It's a CA truck so it's loaded with smog gear which I would like to eliminate as here in central AZ we don't have to smog anything. We have nothing but clear blue skies.

Questions: I have a fuel pump that's putting out pressure and flow but no fuel going thru the carb into the engine. The engine runs when fed from a bottle down the carb throat but does nothing by itself. I think the carb must be gummed up until no fuel can pass OR ?? ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM SOME OF YOU "PROS" on this vehicle.
Thanks from a newbie in the world of Toyota.
Ken

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
At just a guess with the clues you provided Id say eithet the jets are clogged or the floats are bad.
As far as removing smog on this particular engine you should be running a smog pump and lots of vacume lines.
My first step would be to rebuild the carb, get it running right.
Then Id start plugging vacume lines and checking performance and idle stats untill you find a combo that works.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Nightmare of vacume lines/fittings, smog pump, cat convertor.
No real electronics to work around other than getting the choke to work right after plugging and disconnecting vacume lines.
The smog pump can be removed (not legally) and worked around.
Considering its an 81 the cat is probably ready for a change out, new versions of cats keep exhaust back pressure at a good level and in return assist engines to run good.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah I remember the nightmare smog stuff after all. Lose vacuum on one line and the engine runs rough.

suncomb1

You need to obtain a copy of a 1981 Toyota truck factory service manual. You can eliminate almost everything but you need a vacuum port / signal from the carb to the distributer vacuum advance and a vacuum port for the fuel tank VSV valve / charcoal canister (the one on the firewall). You will have to plug many of the ports on the carb or buy a Weber carb-they are a easy install.

James

100 Posts
I think you can download the service manual online. I have eliminated smog features on my vehicle before.

bluzcruzer

Its not likely a carb. issue.....I find that if it didn't have a problem to begin with...its not likely going to start one up...such as float issues or clogged jets. Likely, you took on water and it trapped some in the carb/filters...Condensation or bad fuel can really pollute your fuel filters. So much so, it may not run at all. There are several in the system and I would inspect these first. One at the carb. inlet and one usually one on or about the frame or in the tank, though this one seldom is a problem....its has a bigger screen. If you didn't use an air filter...then dirt could be an issue. I'd say water build up clogged your filter at the carb.....other factors could be a clogged catalytic converter or bad vacuum hose(s)..Run some heat in the tank after changing those filters (just do the easy ones)....or a good carb/fuel system cleaner and go from there. Oh....and don't run that motor on prime......it won't lubricate and you can wipe the cam out...luck

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: