• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Older Toyota motorhome ~ Dolphin

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Nice, I love those older motorhomes.
Looks to be late 70's or early 80's.
They were never fast, early models had 2.0 engines, then 22r, 22re, and Ive heard a rumour of 22rte engines.
Then someone got the bright idea to use the 3.0 that ended up being a disaster in almost every vehicle toyota used it in.
Almost every motorhome used the automatic trans, which never had problems.
And full floating 1 ton rear axle.
Many years ago I saw some of the smaller motorhomes that had fiberglass siding with 4 wd, not sure who converted those but they looked like a great expedition vehicle.
Id like a 84/85 version Dolphin that I could convert to a late model Isuzu Diesel with the GM 700r4 trans, not fast, wont pull more than you already have there, but enough power to do the job and return low 20's for mpg.
Heck if it had a running 22re Id leave that in place until it broke.

James

100 Posts
I would have waited around to see them drive off. You might have had to give them a ride home.

hcobbyota93

There is one of those in my area. Owner drives it everywhere. It's the only vehicle him and his wife have. It must have 6 or 700k miles on it at least

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Reading the comments again, just about 50% of the time when I see a motorhome going down the road, there's something being towed behind it, maybe it's a a car or light truck, sometimes a boat or even a trailer from time to time. If that's your game, then this isn't the right motorhome for you I'm going to guess. Certainly not if you're going camping up into the mountains or even into some significant hills.

However, the other 50% of the time, there is nothing being towed, so I can imagine either a single or couple, or a family with maybe 1 or 2 kids, could get along just fine in something like the Dolphin motorhome.

I see my dad driving a 38' (or 40', I can't recall) Bounder motorhome with full slides and it's like ... yeah, this is nice, but it's huge and with the diesel pusher it's only getting like 9 mpg diesel.

His looks something like this, except for the bed against the other sidewall and there is a kitchen slide going the other way. It's just huge inside there.

James

100 Posts
My parents have a two year old camper. The funny thing is they live in the woods. However they go camping every weekend to be 10 feet from the next camper. Strange! Actually, my dad just wants to avoid the feeling that he should be working around the house of the weekend. What people do in 2014 is quite strange! Of course I am sure that many people shake their heads at what I do.

gatorJ

I really like motorhomes from the 1980s. I have a 1984 Tioga. It is great for when we go fishing. I enjoy taking it to the lake and catching something good. I also take it when we go to the Appalachian mountains. I love driving up to Georgia and doing some camping and fishing.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I've seen a few more of these since then actually. They seem to have a long lifespan.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Interesting to see how this old Motorhome got a lot of traffic to the site.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
It's been at least a decade or longer since I've seen any type of motorhome like this. barely remember that someone made a RV out of a smaller Toyota pickup truck chassis.

Did they at least upgrade the engine and transmission?

Related Content You Might Like: