• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

No Vin on Dash?!

Xmsteel

1980 SR5. Curious if they just didn't have a VIN plate on the dash? I have a plate on the inside right fender under the hood then a plate on the driver door, but no plate on the dash. Is this normal?!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Not 100% sure but I remember dash vin placards becoming standard in the late 60's early 70's.
Does it have a spot for a placard in the lower left windshield?
Whats the chance it was in an accident and non oem substandard parts were used for repair?

Xmsteel

Not 100% sure but I remember dash vin placards becoming standard in the late 60's early 70's.
Does it have a spot for a placard in the lower left windshield?
Whats the chance it was in an accident and non oem substandard parts were used for repair?
Not that I can tell, thats why I was curious. If I saw a spot I'd figure it was missing.
Extremely high chance. I believe it was in a front-end collision, one fender is replaced, the grill is replaced, the hood is replaced, and the other original fender has bondo in it.

It has two placards though and both match. (just missing that one on the dash, assuming it was suppose to have one).

Edit: The title is clean and clear though, surprisingly.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
They used to rivet a small vin tag to the corner of the dash pad.
My brother had a 70's Chevy once without the tag, was left off by a bodyshop doing repairs from a collision.
Remember collision repairs werent documented until a few years ago, salvage titles werent widely used until the mid 90's.

Xmsteel

They used to rivet a small vin tag to the corner of the dash pad.
My brother had a 70's Chevy once without the tag, was left off by a bodyshop doing repairs from a collision.
Remember collision repairs werent documented until a few years ago, salvage titles werent widely used until the mid 90's.

Ah okay. Seeing the job that was done I think it was probably an at-home repair (bondo applied incorrectly, gap issues with the fender, etc).
If that was the case though I don't know why it would be missing. I guess it could have been a possibility that a body shop just did a really really REALLY bad job.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
There are still bodyshops out there that get away with doing work like that. I bet if you searched it wouldnt be to hard to find one local. Not that you want to.
If the shop didnt have access to the correct rivets they might have intentionally left the tag off, the rivets were specific and a quick tell for law enforcement that they might be dealing with a suspected stolen vehicle, in which case they would verify legitamacy by verifying @ other tag points.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
You said theres two other tags that correspond with the vin on the registration right?
So it would just take a few extra moments to verify numbers through them.
Shouldnt present a major issue, more curiosity than anything.

Related Content You Might Like: