• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Tacoma Engine/s Rumor...

Mtb Man

Hi Everybody,

I just registered with this forum and had a question regarding a rumor I thought I heard. Does Toyota have a new engine in the works for the Tacoma? One with better fuel economy? I know that Toyota has a very cool diesel powered truck that they sell over seas. Has anyone heard anything that they may sell them over here.

Thanks,
Mtb Man:cool:

GearHead

100 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, there are rumors about Toyota making some changes to the engine of the Tacoma in 2013, however it is unclear at this point exactly what is going to happen. There is talk of a hybrid Tacoma being introduced in late 2012/13. I've seen posts on other sites in regard to a diesel being introduced as well, but this seems less likely at this point. These are just rumors in other words. If you look around the Tacoma forum you will find a number of posts related to this topic, but I think I have it summed up pretty well here. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away! Once again welcome.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Toyota Motor Corp. spent the last 4 years developing and testing the new gas engine in most of their race vehicles.
Early numbers look promising for performance and mileage. While I havent been able to drive a truck with the new engine I was able to get a ride in one and seat of the pants performance difference is noticeable between this engine and the 4.0 or 3.4, it feels more like the V8.

Toyota Diesel powered trucks have been around for many years, and at different times were available in the U.S. 79/80, 84/85, and 87/88 model years there was a diesel option available for Toyota trucks. 84/85 was only available as a std cab truck non-SR5, so it got the Japan style bed. 87/88 had an available SR5 package and Extra cab, this was also a Turbo Diesel engine that pushed about 40 more horses than the earlier trucks.
They were available in 2wd or 4wd, with 4wd being the more popular model. All model Diesel trucks are rare, production numbers were low as Diesel wasnt really considered a viable fuel for personal vehicles at that time, you had to go to truck stops to fill up back then as local gas stations didnt carry Diesel so the inconvenience defeated the popularity.
Early Toyota Diesel engines werent powerhouses but they did get decent mileage, unloaded they could achieve as high as 28mpg.
The later version Diesel sold over seas and in South America is a more powerful engine, it can be purchased as a normally aspirated, Turbo, or intercooled Turbo.
The basic block is shared by all three engines but internally theres a lot of difference between the three engines.
From 99-04 I owned a 99 normally aspirated Extra cab truck, and a 01 Turbo cooled Crew cab truck, mpg was about the same for both trucks but performance wise they were world apart.
The 99 was a great truck that had decent get-up and go and could haul a good sized load if needed, the 01 was like running a race tuned engine, performance was awsum it could keep up and pass most vehicles on the road.
In 2002 I added Propane injection to both trucks, the performance and mileage improvement was huge, almost a 20% gain in mpg. Unfortunately in late 2004 I recieved orders back to the U.S. and was forced to sell both trucks due to their inability to conform to U.S. safety and smog standards, the only option I had shipping them back to the U.S. was to remove the drivetrain and ship them without engines then reengine them when they got here and have them inspected to ensure they conformed, wasnt worth the hassle so I let them go.

As far as a Diesel or Hybrid option for the Tacoma I wouldnt hold my breath, the options are being explored but any offerings are a long time out if at all. Well placed friends of mine at TRD say they were told at this point dont hipe up sales for add-ons of these type vehicles because they arent even sure if the vehicles will ever be available.

GearHead

100 Posts
Wow! A whole lot of info here. Thanks tb for taking the time to post all of this. I guess the general consensus is not to get too excited in regard to any major changes to the engines available for the Tacoma. Was it costly/difficult to add the propane injection?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea from what I'm hearing, when they make there debut they'll be impressive but I understood their was some issues to work out and then they have the new govt. regulations to worry about.
The propane injection kits ran about $625 (after the exchange rate, I was living in Italy at the time) I had to add an additional $200 worth of parts and machine work to get them the way I wanted them. The kits were built by an Italian company for use in Italy and the standards werent as strict as U.S. standards. Also the kits I used were generic, there were parts I didnt like so I had some additional work done to make me happy.

2 Years ago I bought a U.S. made propane injection system for my competition crawler, again I went with a generic system because nobody makes parts for Yanmar Marine Diesels, this kit was a little better put together but it cost $1300.

If you've never looked into it propane to a Diesel engine is like Nitrous to a gas engine it creates a very clean and full burn with a lot of BTU's the main problem is making sure you dont get to hot and burn out the cylinders or exhaust system. Lots of power to be had but ya gotta be careful so you dont blow things apart.

GearHead

100 Posts
I'd love to get my hands on a diesel if they were available from Toyota and install a propane system. I've been looking at older Fords (shhhhh) because they make a great diesel truck and I want one for work, could really use the excellent fuel economy that a diesel engine provides even when hauling a heavy load. I might just have to upgrade it with a propane system if I do this. I take it you just have to be careful with the mixture and watch the temp closely? I'm a long ways from doing this, but certainly interested...

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea temps can jump up fast.
From 2005 to 2010 my wife and I owned a small fleet of Chevy 1ton dually Diesels we were using for a hotshot operation to tow Goose neck trailers, all of them were modded to run Propane injection, it gave the trucks extra mileage and horsepower, an unexpected benefit was the engine oil stayed cleaner because there was less Diesel washout from the cylinders since more fuel was burning, it really took an effort to get those trucks to roll black smoke because the propane helped burn the diesel so well, but on long runs you would get high EGT's and cylinder head temps.
I installed water injectors and EGT gauges to keep things in check. Cooling down isnt hard as soon as you see the temps climbing you just back off the throttle and run easy for a few miles and it brings the temps right down but if you dont have an EGT gauge you'll never know it's getting to hot.
You wanna try something real different try running Bio Fuel with Propane, Bio Fuel smells like french fries cooking and when you start running it with propane injection they start smelling like their burning. But with Bio fuel if you mix your own batch's you can set the Cetane level where you want it and make the fuel as potent as you like. I used to run high Cetane levels and low Sulfur the stuff would burn like wildfires, didnt get very good mileage but the way it jumped off the line people would sware you had a big block gas engine under the hood. But runnign Bio I had to change oil more often because I got bad washout and the engine oil would thin real bad after a couple thousand miles.

Related Content You Might Like: