• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New member with T100 pickup

Tyrion Lannister

Hello everybody. Just signed up to the site. First time Toyota owner. My very first pick up truck as well and it happens to be a 97 T100. I can't tell you how happy i am with my truck. I went to the KASP auto auction in Lexington, KY actually in the market for an old Chevy K body. While inspecting all of the trucks available, I noticed the Toyota but didn't quite knew what it was and quite honestly, didn't pay it a heck of a lot of attention. So once the bidding starts I see truck after truck come and go, all out of my price range. Then my truck comes up. Once it was on the block it caught my eye. So I shot a bid at $1800 and immediately got out bid at $1900. I was turning to walk away when the other guy backed out of his bid. The floor rat comes over and asks if I still want it for $1800. I look at the dealer on the dais, he said it's got cold a/c and he's gonna lose his shirt but he'll sell it to me for $1800. So I bought it. Not really knowing anything about it except it had 276,000+ miles on it. That had me a bit worried but it's a great truck. Doesn't leak a drop of anything. Doesn't burn oil. Runs super quiet. It's perfect for me.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hello everybody. Just signed up to the site. First time Toyota owner. My very first pick up truck as well and it happens to be a 97 T100. I can't tell you how happy i am with my truck. I went to the KASP auto auction in Lexington, KY actually in the market for an old Chevy K body. While inspecting all of the trucks available, I noticed the Toyota but didn't quite knew what it was and quite honestly, didn't pay it a heck of a lot of attention. So once the bidding starts I see truck after truck come and go, all out of my price range. Then my truck comes up. Once it was on the block it caught my eye. So I shot a bid at $1800 and immediately got out bid at $1900. I was turning to walk away when the other guy backed out of his bid. The floor rat comes over and asks if I still want it for $1800. I look at the dealer on the dais, he said it's got cold a/c and he's gonna lose his shirt but he'll sell it to me for $1800. So I bought it. Not really knowing anything about it except it had 276,000+ miles on it. That had me a bit worried but it's a great truck. Doesn't leak a drop of anything. Doesn't burn oil. Runs super quiet. It's perfect for me.
Welcome to the site, great story to boot. How long again was it when you got it?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Welcome aboard. You bought it at 276,000 miles and how many miles now @Tyrion Lannister ?

Tyrion Lannister

Welcome aboard. You bought it at 276,000 miles and how many miles now @Tyrion Lannister ?
Just turned 280,000 miles. I've been online searching for any information i can find about it since i bought it. I remember the ad campaign for these trucks from the 90's. Particularly the narrators unique voice. I remember thinking i liked the look of the truck in the ads. Then the tundra came along and suddenly no more ads for T100. As i said in my opening post, i am completely besotted with my pick up truck.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, the t100 was a good truck but was Toyota's first attempt at competing with the big 3 for full size trucks. I had a friend who worked for a toyota dealer at the time and he said they just didn't have enough sales on them for toyota to keep producing, so they went back to the drawing board and developed the tundra.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Just thinking about this again .... $1800 are you kidding me? I'd buy one at double that price if I could find one.

toyotasrule

100 Posts
Great deal on your truck. I've always wanted to go to an auction, how does one attend and bid on vehicles at one of them?

Tyrion Lannister

Ooh. Thanks so much everyone. I've always been aware of Toyota's reputation for quality. But I came from a family who always had domestic vehicles so that's what I always bought. But when that truck came up for $1800 I figured why not? That was my very first time at an auction. I happened to be in line, to check in, behind a friendly gentleman who was an old pro. Actually the fellow in line behind me was a virgin as well.

So the old sage took us both under his wing and spent the whole day with us telling us all the ins and outs of the auction. What to expect. What to look for. What to avoid. Thanks to him it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience and I came away with the best vehicle I have every owned.

Now, I have a question. I am such an immediate fan of the T100 I went on YouTube and Google and searched for every scrap of info I could find. I found clips of two video reviews from the 90's I enjoyed so much that I put them together along with some vintage T100 commercials for authenticity. Am I allowed to link to my YouTube channel from here? This is my first forum and Idk how they work exactly and I don't wanna break the rules.

Tyrion Lannister

Just thinking about this again .... $1800 are you kidding me? I'd buy one at double that price if I could find one.
Yeah! I started looking at prices after I bought it to see if I got taken to the cleaners or not. Turns out even with the high miles it's still selling for almost twice what I gave for it.

I'm a bargain hunter at heart. Nothing revs me up like catching a really good deal on something. I live for it!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I looked on auto trader and craigslist for a minute and only a couple have been listed recently around me, I'm check again later this week.

Jarred

100 Posts
Still looks very neat, I say too its a good score. Congratulations! Got plans for mods already?

Tyrion Lannister

Still looks very neat, I say too its a good score. Congratulations! Got plans for mods already?
Of course! LOL! But first it needs a few bits and pieces. The electrical system needs a freshening. The fuse box under the hood has melted away from both it's mounts and it's almost broken in half. I'm finding this single part extremely difficult to find. The battery cables are frayed and exposed. Headlights are jacked up. It's missing all of the gear to carry a spare tire under the bed plus no tire tools. It'll be a labor of love and I'm gonna take it slow and not get to anxious about modding it to death.

TruckZoom

Hey Tyrion. I remember watching you on GOT. haha! im just kidding. anyway, welcome to the club. that's a nice ride you got!

Related Content You Might Like: