• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New here...

I live in Lantana, FL which is in south central Palm Beach County. I am an A/C contractor and am 63. I love restoring old Jap motorcycles, golfing and singing in our little garage band. I just took possession of a one owner barn find 1991 Toyota pickup (model DX I think) with 40K miles. For $250.00. No rust, no dents. But she hasn't been started in 3 years. I am blessed to have this. I want to keep her stock and reliable. Should be fun to pull my old Jap bikes on my trailer behind this little gem. So I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Gonna trailer her home today and get underway.

Last edited:
I spent all day yesterday giving her a bath and cleaning the mildew inside. I barely touched the dome light at the rear view mirror and it crumbled to pieces.
I put the charger on the battery for hours and the needle never rose. Does this mean the battery is shot?
The first thing I'd like to do is get the old gas out. Do I take the tank out or just syphon as much out as is possible?
Thanks!

Attachments

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
If that truck was sitting for three years, and I'm assuming the battery wasn't new to begin with, then I'd assume it's fried.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yep battery sounds like a goner.
With the fuel Id probably siphon out as much as possible, put a few gallons of fresh fuel in, take out the in-line fuel filter and replace it.
Before attaching the supply end back to the filter I would either pressurize the fuel tank with about 5-10 psi and allow the old fuel to be pushed out of the line and pump or turn the key and activate the fuel pump.
If you havent already turned over the engine I would probably remove each plug and squirt a shot of wd40 or some other light oil into the cylinder.

Good stuff. Got a new battery. Will do all of the things tbplus has said to do. Have not turned it over yet. Bought new plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, air cleaner, oil and filter.
The former owner said that when he parked it three years ago it had a "miss". Should it turn out to run improperly after installing the parts mentioned above and things do point to a fuel injector(s), short of beginning to replacing any, what is a good approach to cleaning them?
Finally, I'm replacing the gnarly carpet. Is there any in particular that you all like online? Do they generally come with the padding underneath? And is anyone aware if upholstery shops can usually recover the seats with OEM materials and look?
Thanks!

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Welcome to ttc!

Here's my generic welcome message. Where are you from and what are you driving? Post pics too in the gallery!

Related Content You Might Like: