• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New guy here, need help swapping a compressor on an 89 P/U

Greg McKee

I need to replace the compressor on my 89 3.0I 4x4 pickup. I can't find a decent diagram to look at and see how many bolts to remove and their placement. HELP!

Tony TRD

I need to replace the compressor on my 89 3.0I 4x4 pickup. I can't find a decent diagram to look at and see how many bolts to remove and their placement. HELP!
Did you try a google search of images? Visit a local wrecking yard for a look see at a pulled engine assembly? Can’t be that difficult to swap out?

Greg McKee

Did you try a google search of images? Visit a local wrecking yard for a look see at a pulled engine assembly? Can’t be that difficult to swap out?
I looked up a picture of the part and found out what I needed to know. I've got compressor unbolted and unplugged, but now I can't get it out of the engine compartment no matter how I turn it. I've even removed parts in the way and still can't seem to thread it through. I removed the bolts from the bracket that the belt tensioner is mounted to, but the part doesn't seem to come loose. Back to youtube I guess.

Greg McKee

Yes, that seems to be the only route, but I can't twist or turn it to fit through. I tried taking the bracket that holds the compressor and the tensioner pulley off, but even with the bolts out, it won't budge. I can't find out if it will break loose or if it is fixed to the engine block. If I could remove it, the process would be a breeze.

Tony TRD

Yes, that seems to be the only route, but I can't twist or turn it to fit through. I tried taking the bracket that holds the compressor and the tensioner pulley off, but even with the bolts out, it won't budge. I can't find out if it will break loose or if it is fixed to the engine block. If I could remove it, the process would be a breeze.
If you cannot budge the compressor I would believe that there is a bolt you missed that is holding it secure

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Wow! That sounds crazy! I'm sure that "holding your mouth just right" was the key to success. Removing the manifold may have helped a bit.

Related Content You Might Like: