• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Need to replace starter on 22r, with 5 speed 4x4 trans

TowerDog92

I need to replace my starter soon. its in a 81 sr5 pickup, with a 22r, 5 speed transmission, and it is 4x4.
I would like to know what ya'll think are the best, proper torque, longest life, ect. Thanks.

Luchs

I need to replace my starter soon. its in a 81 sr5 pickup, with a 22r, 5 speed transmission, and it is 4x4.
I would like to know what ya'll think are the best, proper torque, longest life, ect. Thanks.
Hey Tower, you've got the same setup as my '85, and over the years I've changed mine out more than a couple times. I usually pick one up at autozone, and they're alright . It's always a remanufactured unit, but they work fine for me, and the price is right. Gotta love how simple the replacement is.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Depending on the problem with your starter, Toyota sells an OEM rebuild kit for the brushes.
I rebuilt the starter in my 99 Tacoma in 06 and she's still running strong 126k later. Thats even with the clutch bypass and using it to pull out of tight spots often.
My 91 I replaced the starter on the original 22r in 2000 with a Mean Green starter, when I yanked the engine and swapped it for a Yanmar Marine Diesel in 2005 I kept the starter and used it on the Yanmar Diesel, she still works great. I have a bypass switch on this one too, it also gets used a lot to climb out of holes or up rocks.
http://www.mean-green.com/

TowerDog92

Thanks guys! I had never heard of the mean green starter before, pretty awesome. though its probably more extreme then i would need, I am kind of tempted.

Related Content You Might Like: