• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

High Idle 1991 Toyota Pickup

OK, I got a response that told me how to adjust the idle with the A/C on so that worked.
Bought a timing light, jumped out E1 & TC1 and timing was way off. So I got that done.
Biggest problem now is a tingley, metallic sound in the top end which I hear when I come off idle to say, 2000 RPM and when I back off. I'm wondering if it's the timing chain/guide issue. But two important factors to consider are that, although this is a 1991, it has than 44K miles. Secondly, it sat for around three years and when the mechanic pulled the pan it was sludge city. Since he cleaned everything and put in a new oil pump, I've driven it about 40 miles. Should I just run it and see if it clears up? A friend recommended marvel Mystery Oil as a product that would clean up the top end if it was added to the oil. Thoughts?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Unfortunately your noise could be about anything in the top
Marvel oil is a great addative, Ive used it to quiet lots of engine noises.
A silicone addative can sometimes do the same thing too. end.
A mechanics stethescope might help isolate some of the noise.

BuffaloBill

OK, I got a response that told me how to adjust the idle with the A/C on so that worked.
Bought a timing light, jumped out E1 & TC1 and timing was way off. So I got that done.
Biggest problem now is a tingley, metallic sound in the top end which I hear when I come off idle to say, 2000 RPM and when I back off. I'm wondering if it's the timing chain/guide issue. But two important factors to consider are that, although this is a 1991, it has than 44K miles. Secondly, it sat for around three years and when the mechanic pulled the pan it was sludge city. Since he cleaned everything and put in a new oil pump, I've driven it about 40 miles. Should I just run it and see if it clears up? A friend recommended marvel Mystery Oil as a product that would clean up the top end if it was added to the oil. Thoughts?
It sounds like you performed the truck's first oil change. I pray you don't have clogged oil galleys and resulting bearing damage but it sounds like there is. MMO is a good product but it's not magic. It's best used as an oil additive for vehicles that take old school oil. Best of luck.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I had that happen to me in a Ford 5.0 in the 90's. Oil pump broke on me, full of sludge from the previous owner.

Related Content You Might Like: