• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Help with 89 Toyota

Yota12

I posted something earlier but not sure if anybody saw it... anyway

I ordered a 4-5 I'm lift kit for my 89 toyota 4x4 extended cab. It's a stock truck, I was wondering if I had to do anything to the steering? I'm new to ifs front end. Thanks

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
What kit did you order?
You have a power rack & pinion steering steering system in your truck, depending on the lift kit you ordered it "should" have the parts to address your lift.
Probably a set of spacers to drop the rack down from the frame a few inches. The rack more than likely wont be relocated the full 4-5" of the lift. This will affect your alignment some.
The other method, again depending on lift purchased, is to use new "lifted" spindles, this also affects alignment.
When going for tire clearance on IFS trucks I normally use a few different methods to get big tires underneath.
My present 99 Tacoma rides on 36" tires most of the time but has room for 40" tires if desired, I started with a 2" spacer lift, then added a 2" coil/strut lift, enough to lift but not throw settings out of geometry, then I added a 3" body lift, and capped it off by trimming out everything not required in the wheel well that would rub the tires while they were stuffed.
I used custom fabbed 1.5" CV extensions to prevent the cvs from pulling out on extension.
I also added a custom fabbed 2" solid bar extension for the rack & pinion to bolt to, this reduces steering flex with larger tires.
Note I said I normally use 36" tires but can fit 40", on IFS I wouldnt recommend over 34/35" tires, preferably 33" to tell the truth. I have custom CV's and cryo hardened gears on my truck, this is the only reason my IFS has survived with this set up. I rarely use my 40's and expect suspension damage if I put them on, if it doesnt break thats just a good day and I dodged an expensive repair.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Blocks in the rear with A arm and diff drop up front.
Is this truck going to be a hard core wheeler or an occasional off-road play toy?
33"s will be a good size to keep breakage minimal.
Using blocks with the larger tires is going to give you a lot more axle/spring wrap, which in turn will rotate the pinion upwards and put more stress on the u joints.
Id recomend new greasable u-joints when you do the lift.
Are you planning a gear swap in the future?
After you put those 33's on you'll see why I ask.
Toyota only offered 2 engines in that year truck, the 3.0 will not tolerate those larger tires well, oddly the smaller 4cyl 22RE engine will tolerate them better, mostly because it doesnt mind being run at a little higher RPM's.

Yota12

Yea I got the 22re In the truck, I would like to do a gear swap in the future but not sure when I'd get around to it. It's gonna be my daily driver that I just wanna occasionally go out and play. Alright so new u joints, and then spacers to drop the rack down some, and hopefully that will come with the lift. And I don't mind the blocks in the back, the truck won't be beat on to much.

Related Content You Might Like: