• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

HELP! Siezed engine? Now what?

NorcalCamper

I'll try to be brief and supply more details as requested so I don't bore anyone. I've recently had an overheating problem on my 94' 3.0L SR5 pickup. It would run rough and seemed to exhaust a lot of steam. I suspected a bad head gasket or cracked block. Now the engine wont turn over at all, just a clunk from the starter. Not like a dead battery clunk, but more like a siezed engine clunk. Any suggestions on tests I can perform myself to confirm or deny this? I'd hate to tow it to the stealership just to have them charge me money to tell me its dead. I'm not real pleased with the 3.0L's power. Is a 3.4L swap feasible? Where would I look to research that?

Feel free to ask questions as I know I'm leaving out many detail/symtoms.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
Put a socket on the crank and try to turn over by hand. If seized and u have access to a 3.4 it is very feasible. I've seen a few race trucks with a 3.4L. It is very reliable, power is decent, and it is pretty fast with a supercharger.

I don't know all of the details involved with the swap, bit I do know on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being most difficult as far as engine swaps are concerned, this swap is about a 3, unlike the 5.7L which is a 15!

Julin

If the oil is less in the car then this problem arises and if the speed is very high the engine gets seized & it is very expensive to repair also..

Julin

If the oil is less in the car then this problem arises and if the speed is very high the engine gets seized & it is very expensive to repair also..

SurferBoy

I'd probably kick it, then see if I can find a cheap replacement for the motor. There should be lots of shops in your area. Did you ever get this fixed?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I'll try to be brief and supply more details as requested so I don't bore anyone. I've recently had an overheating problem on my 94' 3.0L SR5 pickup. It would run rough and seemed to exhaust a lot of steam. I suspected a bad head gasket or cracked block. Now the engine wont turn over at all, just a clunk from the starter. Not like a dead battery clunk, but more like a siezed engine clunk. Any suggestions on tests I can perform myself to confirm or deny this? I'd hate to tow it to the stealership just to have them charge me money to tell me its dead. I'm not real pleased with the 3.0L's power. Is a 3.4L swap feasible? Where would I look to research that?

Feel free to ask questions as I know I'm leaving out many detail/symtoms.
How did this end up working out?

NorcalCamper

Fixed it

Sorry for not updating. I ended up tearing down the motor with a friend down to the block. The number 6 cylinder had massive rust buildup and some scoring on the walls. We ended up re-honing all the cylinders and re-ringing the pistons, plus new bearings. While we were in there we replaced the timing belt, water pump, clutch, gaskets, plugs, etc. We were pleased to hear it come to life after many nights of wrenching. So far I've only put 66 miles on it gently around town. I've yet to put it back on the freeway but I'm sure it will be fine. Now I'm good for another 120K miles or so.

The bad news is that when I had to go to the dealer for a part, I was informed that they would have done the head gasket replacement for free under the recall and that there is no expiration on a recall. :mad: Oh well. At least I got all the other stuff done while I was in there. They would have charged me a small fortune to do all the extras.

P.S. - If I wasn't clear, the problem was the head gasket. The block and heads proved to be good.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
That's good to hear that you were able to get it fixed and that you don't have any issues with the heads. Only once did I have damage to the heads in an engine, pretty much just end of story when that happens becuase I don't have the patience to do a complete tear down, just time to cut my loses at that point, but looks like you were able to get it all working. Thumbs up for that.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Sorry for not updating. I ended up tearing down the motor with a friend down to the block. The number 6 cylinder had massive rust buildup and some scoring on the walls. We ended up re-honing all the cylinders and re-ringing the pistons, plus new bearings. While we were in there we replaced the timing belt, water pump, clutch, gaskets, plugs, etc. We were pleased to hear it come to life after many nights of wrenching. So far I've only put 66 miles on it gently around town. I've yet to put it back on the freeway but I'm sure it will be fine. Now I'm good for another 120K miles or so.

The bad news is that when I had to go to the dealer for a part, I was informed that they would have done the head gasket replacement for free under the recall and that there is no expiration on a recall. :mad: Oh well. At least I got all the other stuff done while I was in there. They would have charged me a small fortune to do all the extras.

P.S. - If I wasn't clear, the problem was the head gasket. The block and heads proved to be good.
Hey no worries on that, glad you at least got to some type of resolution.

Related Content You Might Like: