• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Hello everyone

86pudlx

Hello,

My name Garrett. I own an 86 Toy long bed dlx. Bought it for IFS and less smog. Turns it has far more smog equipment than an 87 and now I want a straight axle. Figures... i hope to acquire a 2wd eventually, and ill baja that instead. My college degree is in Automotive Technology. Ive taken a class in everything but Hybrids and carbs. Thats about it.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Well Garrett sounds like youve got a good start, professionally and with your truck.
The 86 4x4 had more smog, and EFI, but the 86 base line truck with the 22R and carburation had almost no smog, even in Ca. trim.
Truthfully if you want to do a SAS on that model truck a 2wd is a better starting point, it has a stronger front frame than the IFS or Solid axle trucks that preceeded it.
Ive built 5 different Baja/PreRunner trucks out of that particular model, raced 1 in Sportsman class for a short while, and another I built from a 86 Toyota I bought new, that one stayed with us 16 yrs and was my daughters first car. At one point I had it powered by a 1983 Buick "T Type" engine.
Those trucks are a great starting point for any project.

86pudlx

Jamestown CA grew up in cedar ridge up the hill

- - - Updated - - -

Actually my buddy's 87 22r had less Vacuum lines and vacuum valves than my 86 Ca 22r does. That 2wd drive frame info is incredibly handy though. Would you suggest I swap the bodys and frames for my projects and just beef up the front end for 2wd baja?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Is your 86 a 22R or 22RE?
1986 and up 4x4's normally came with the RE, while the R engines were mostly for baseline trucks.
I know the Ca. spec trucks well, I was stationed in Alameda when I bought my 86 2wd.

If I was gonna do a Baja truck Id use a 2wd and build a cage to tie the radiator support into an in cab rollcage thereby stiffening the front suspension and adding front end safety against crashes.

Near new melones lake and Don Pedro Resevoir, I spent many weekends in the 70's not far away at Lake Pardee and Lake Amador.
I dont suppose they still have the Preston school of Industry in Ione? I spent a rough 9 months in that place in 1978.

Last edited:

86pudlx

Its a 22r. The guy i bought it from, got it w/o power train. He put in the 22R and G54. But after talking in depth with California Carburetor Company its confirmed to be an 86 aisin carb. Never checked for a referee sticker though.

So just get straight into a full frontal cage? Do you have any preferences for rear suspension on the 2wds? I've been admiring a 4 link and strut set up someone did.

I rarely cross to that side of the river, so i'm sorry i couldn't tell you.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Early 70's Chevells and ElCaminos have a good coil/link system that doesnt need any cutting just to be fabbed in and its plenty strong with nice long arms.

Related Content You Might Like: