• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Have You Ever Driven Your Truck in Water?

toyotasrule

100 Posts
I have but not too deep. Have you ever driven your Tacoma or other truck in water? How did it do? I wish I had a video of mine, but I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
A few years back there was an Off-road park at the back end of one of the lakes out here, one day while we were wheeling I drove across the center of the bay the park was located on.
I had water up to the bottom of my dash before we got across, which is actually pretty deep since my truck has 9" of lift and 35" tires on it.
The aftermath was ruined carpeting and backing which I replaced with new, I had to dismantle the seats, wash the seat covers, freshwater rinse and tumble dry the seat foam, and I chased down a foul smell at the back of the truck for nearly a month before I found a dead rotted fish between the gas tank and the frame.

My 94 Toyota went across Duck Inlet in Virginia and suffered a computer failure due to salt water intrusion.
I dont do well in water so I stay away from it.

antonino

100 Posts
In a slightly flooded street, Yes. It still run smooth. The water's as high as almost half of the wheels.

GregH

Wow. Some interesting experiences! I have to do more off-road trucking than I do. I mostly use my truck for hauling or camping.

danstpierre

100 Posts
Wow. Some interesting experiences! I have to do more off-road trucking than I do. I mostly use my truck for hauling or camping.
Man, you should. You have a nice truck, do something fun, do more than hauling and camping.:cool:

nailbite3

Sometimes, driving off-road, in shallow waters. Yeah. Add fun in your camping and outdoor experiences - drive your truck in the river!

jimmyno

That was cool!. My aging Toyota have its share of threading flooded streets too. Ohh, we just can't rely on our government to fix the city's drainage system!

supernovax3

100 Posts
I have when backing a boat into the water and off the trailer. I went just a bit too far back. Nothing bad happened to my truck though, thankfully.

Stuart

I personally prefer dry land. However, water doesn't seem to be a problem for Tacoma:

Yoda2

I personally prefer dry land. However, water doesn't seem to be a problem for Tacoma:
Pretty neat video, thanks for the share.

I've never driven my current Toyota through water, but I drove my old dodge durango through a pretty flooded street once. It was probably a foot and a half of water, and it did fine. I just don't feel too confident doing it by choice. I'd rather not short out any electronics or run into any other problems that'll leave my truck stranded in water.

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
Other than rain and a few deep puddles. But I haven't drive my Toyota through deep water. That lake seen in the video above is awesome!

Hendu024

Funny I just saw this thread. I logged on here to update a different thread, but I will just post in this one since it's more relevant. Early Friday morning, 2 days ago, I went out onto a pond in Maine (up here visiting family) and my truck went through the ice. There was a fresh snowfall, and the powder covered a warm spring. The ice is plenty thick to drive on, I just ran over the only thin spot.

It's amazing how fast they sink. I had enough time to hit the window buttons and they dropped almost all the way down before the truck shut off. My buddy and I bailed out the windows, I swam out, climbed on the roof and jumped onto the ice on the other side. My buddy went into shock in about 45 seconds, I had to drag his ass up and force him to run with me about 1/2 mile to a house. Definitely one of the scariest things I've ever experienced. My fingers and toes are still thawing out as we speak.

It took a towing/recovery team about 4 hours to pull the truck out, and if the water didn't total it, the ice did when we pulled it out. I could barely watch, I wanted to throw up the whole time. The ice smashed out windows, caved in quarter panels and lights, broke off side mirrors...

There's an insurance guy coming this week to look at it, but my insurance said it's covered under comprehensive THANK GOD. Oh, did I mention it's a 2013 TRD sport with 2000 miles on it and a fresh Bilstein lift kit and TOYO A/T II's? Yeah...

I'm gonna go make another drink. Yeah it's just after noon, so what? I'll update as I find out more info. Pics will come as soon as I can bear to look at them.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Funny I just saw this thread. I logged on here to update a different thread, but I will just post in this one since it's more relevant. Early Friday morning, 2 days ago, I went out onto a pond in Maine (up here visiting family) and my truck went through the ice. There was a fresh snowfall, and the powder covered a warm spring. The ice is plenty thick to drive on, I just ran over the only thin spot.

It's amazing how fast they sink. I had enough time to hit the window buttons and they dropped almost all the way down before the truck shut off. My buddy and I bailed out the windows, I swam out, climbed on the roof and jumped onto the ice on the other side. My buddy went into shock in about 45 seconds, I had to drag his ass up and force him to run with me about 1/2 mile to a house. Definitely one of the scariest things I've ever experienced. My fingers and toes are still thawing out as we speak.

It took a towing/recovery team about 4 hours to pull the truck out, and if the water didn't total it, the ice did when we pulled it out. I could barely watch, I wanted to throw up the whole time. The ice smashed out windows, caved in quarter panels and lights, broke off side mirrors...

There's an insurance guy coming this week to look at it, but my insurance said it's covered under comprehensive THANK GOD. Oh, did I mention it's a 2013 TRD sport with 2000 miles on it and a fresh Bilstein lift kit and TOYO A/T II's? Yeah...

I'm gonna go make another drink. Yeah it's just after noon, so what? I'll update as I find out more info. Pics will come as soon as I can bear to look at them.
Hate to hear this and sorry for your loss, but everyone did make it out alive and thats the most important part here. Hopefully insurance will leave you close to where you started and you learned a new lesson about driving on ice.
I've driven on ice a few times, the Arctic, Northern Michigan, the Yukon, and Primrose lake Saskatchewan, luckily all very cold climates that normally have a thick ice base all winter long. On Primrose lake we did slip off an ice ridge once while driving out to go ice fishing as soon as we saw water splashing up from the tires we turned around back to shore, what do ya expect from a group of California boys who's only knowledge about ice is it keeps drinks cold, we really had no buisness being out there anyways and by chickening out probably stopped them from an enviromental impact of an oil leaking car in their lake.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I've been in water a few times. The worst I've ever seen was when a friend drove his '78 Ford Bronco into a "puddle" in the Moses Lake Washington Sand Dunes ... turns out that it had a sinkhole and his Bronco with 33-inch tires was up to the middle of the windshield. Funny thing is that the engine kept running for about 30 seconds as his air intake was up near the hood so it must have had an air bubble that it was pulling air in from.

But he got out and it died and we towed it up to the shore and took the plugs out and water came shooting out of the block. We let it dry overnight and pulled the pan and did an oil change on it. He cranked it for about 10 minutes without the plugs in, then recharged the battery overnight, then cranked it again for about 10 minutes, then put the plugs back in and recharged the battery and there were no long-term effects on the engine. Go figure!!!

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
I've been in water a few times. The worst I've ever seen was when a friend drove his '78 Ford Bronco into a "puddle" in the Moses Lake Washington Sand Dunes ... turns out that it had a sinkhole and his Bronco with 33-inch tires was up to the middle of the windshield. Funny thing is that the engine kept running for about 30 seconds as his air intake was up near the hood so it must have had an air bubble that it was pulling air in from.

But he got out and it died and we towed it up to the shore and took the plugs out and water came shooting out of the block. We let it dry overnight and pulled the pan and did an oil change on it. He cranked it for about 10 minutes without the plugs in, then recharged the battery overnight, then cranked it again for about 10 minutes, then put the plugs back in and recharged the battery and there were no long-term effects on the engine. Go figure!!!
Glad to hear your friend had no expensive damage to his truck. Damn sink hole! I would poop myself if I drove through thinking it was a puddle only to find out it wasn't....

supernovax3

100 Posts
Oh my god, that's awful! I'm really sorry to hear about your truck. You two were incredibly lucky to make it out in time though. Vehicles can sink very quickly and the ice can refreeze once the truck goes through, leaving you trapped underwater. I hope insurance gets things worked out quickly and in your favor.

Hendu024

Yeah it really sucks. I definitely feel lucky, if we were a little slower to bail out it would have been real sketchy. It was about 16 degrees outside. I settled with the insurance company, and it looks like everything is going to work out. I really don't have to pay much out of pocket to get my truck back to where it was, so all in all, it could have been a lot worse. Here's a few pics to give you an idea.IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0005.jpgIMAG0071.jpgIMAG0088.jpgIMAG0091.jpg

Related Content You Might Like: