• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Fuel Mileage in Toyota Tundra ... typical mpg?

XSPTundra

Hello,
I'm Karl, aka XSPTUNDRA.
Wondering if anyone gets decent fuel mileage out of a Tundra 5.7L? I consistently get around 11 .1mpg.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I just spent a week in the 2014 Tundra and honestly I was thrilled by the horsepower that the truck had ... but disappointed by the fuel economy.

When I was driving around town ... My average was about 12 mpg. On the freeway of course it was much better, but I had the truck during an ice storm in Texas so I never got on the freeway at speed much.

So the basic questions ... how do you drive? What speeds? Freeway bumper to bumper? City? Etc. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

XSPTundra

Welcome to the site.

I just spent a week in the 2014 Tundra and honestly I was thrilled by the horsepower that the truck had ... but disappointed by the fuel economy.

When I was driving around town ... My average was about 12 mpg. On the freeway of course it was much better, but I had the truck during an ice storm in Texas so I never got on the freeway at speed much.

So the basic questions ... how do you drive? What speeds? Freeway bumper to bumper? City? Etc. ..

Mostly I drive the interstate at or around speed limit which is 75 mph.if I drove around the city it would be far less.

XSPTundra

And yes, sometimes I am a little heavy on the foot which is why I like this truck verses my 06' Silverado with a 6.0.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
No. I do not disagree with you there, at all! I was very impressed by the massive amount of power, and acceleration, that the 2014 Toyota Tundra possesses underneath the hood all the way down to the rubber. Very impressed.

I don't feel like I can really speak much about the overall mpg, because I had the truck during a time in which everybody got bad gas mileage because everyone tires were slipping all over the place, everyone was stop and go stop & go stop & go for miles. However I have heard from other people, especially when you start getting over the 60 mile per hour threshold, mpg goes down dramatically.

The rule of thumb that I was taught, is that the best miles per gallon you're likely to see in your vehicle, any vehicle, is when you're doing the lowest rpm in your highest gear. So in the tundra that looks like it's in the upper 50's low 60's. Every, I think, 5 or 10 miles per hour over that decreases fuel economy 20 to 25 percent common tell you're getting down to like seven or eight miles per gallon at some point.

If you wanted to do a test, do maybe a 60-mile test where you don't go over 60 miles per hour, if you can get a straight stretch of road or be back and forth to work or whatever. Then compare it against what you been getting, and then report back to us because I'd love to know.

Related Content You Might Like: