• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Backfiring 18RC

Icepick

Over the past year or so my '74 Hilux developed an intermittant miss and backfire. For a while I thought it might be water in the gas tank because the stumble would go away and then return the next time I drove it. Recently, the backfire got so bad I couldn't accelerate at all. I changed the fuel filter thinking that might help with water in the tank. I also added a product to the tank to deal with the water. This didn't help. I began to suspect the timing. I bought a timing light and tried to time it the other day, but the timing marks were dancing 8-10 degrees in both directions (advancing then retarding). This is when I thought the distributor may be worn out. The truck has at least 250,000 miles on it. The engine was rebuilt 114,000 miles ago but the distributor is original. I live on the central coast of Ca. where this truck has spent all of its life. A quick search around town, Santa Maria, turned up no one who could repair a worn distributor nor could I find a place to buy a rebuilt distributor. So, I'm hoping one of you veteran owners can point me towards either a distributor rebuilder or a source for a reconditioned one. Thanks.

Icepick
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Jarred

100 Posts
Hope they could able to fix your old hilux, she must be tough being 4 decades now.

Icepick

Hope they could able to fix your old hilux, she must be tough being 4 decades now.
Thanks for the well wishes Jarred. Yes, this has been a great truck for me. I bought it in San Diego when I lived there in the '70s. That was during the Arab oil embargo and gas went up from $.70 per gallon to over a dollar! Folks couldn't get rid of their muscle cars fast enough. Lines at the gas stations, 55 mph speed limit, the whole deal. All of a sudden all these 4 banger cars and trucks from Datsun and Toyota began to make more sense. And they were built to last. At a little over $3k I figured my Hilux was the Cadillac of small trucks. With a 10 gal. tank at 27 mpg my gas bill was just about cut in half. I haven't taken as good care of the paint as I should have, so it's got rust, but it's never been in an accident and it's all original with the exception of an engine rebuild on the original block. It's been driven easy all of it's life and maybe one day I'll restore it.

Related Content You Might Like: