• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Anti freeze in 22RE, will DEX Anti freeze or any type really damage ENG

ARMTDAWG586064

Due to age of truck (95') and it sitting for couple years before I bought back in APR I have notice the Coolant hose's (all of them) are aged/soft and probably won't last much longer. I am getting ready to replace all the hose's to include Heater Core SYS, clean-out Radiator and replace Thermostat.
I know imports have specific they recommend. But I am doing complete replacement and flush out.
1. Does Anybody know if it will do any harm to ENG if using DEX (orange) coolant as replacement?
2. Also I am putting a flush kit/splice into the Heater line for flushing. Which hoses is the water input for
flow? Is it the one that is attached to the Valve with arrow pointed in direction of flow?

V/R

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
A lot of people have looked at this post, does anyone have any input?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Im not a fan of DEX in older Toyota engines, my personal results have been water pump issues.
I prefer good old green anti freeze (Prestone preferably) with Redline Water Wetter.
I cant positively prove DEX was at fault but I had 2 water pumps develop corrosion and have early bearing failure, less than 1500 miles and 12 months on each, the vehicle is used maybe twice a month for 150-200 miles at a time.
Yes I know DEX is advertised as a corrosion preventative coolant.
The last pump is still working with Prestone and has 7500 miles and 3yrs on it.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I use green anti freeze on my older engines...something I had read convinced me ( I forget why as I can get the red antifreeze for free). Probably something along the lines of what tbplus10 is stating. The arrow on the valve is the direction of your coolant flow in engine. The water hose connects to the bottom of the "T" of your flushing device.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The easy version is Water Wetter almost eliminates steam, steam in a cooling system increases pressure and heat. Water wetter also coates surfaces better and increases heat transfer to things like the hoses and radiator cooling fins which causes faster heat transfer/cooling to the atmosfere.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok. So it mixes with water to change the chemical properties of the solution to give better water preformance.

ARMTDAWG586064

Thanks to all response's! I was thinking the same (tbplus10) about DEX in older vehicle but thinking maybe switching out everything at once would prevent water pump issues later, but think I will stay with "green type" after all. I do know about "water wetter" also and it's ok for older engines, but not so much for newer engines (from my experience on other TRKs) due to some sensor(s) sending temp feedback to computer it can screw up shift points on vehicles with auto-trans in them. Thanks for confirming flow (jazz) thought that would be it. I was going to splice the old hose first to confirm but your answer is what I was looking for.

Being new to TOY TRK, correct me if I am wrong. While T/S slight miss in ENG and after checking everything out, it seems the 22RE ECU temp sensor will cause problems with feedback to the ECU/I due to low coolant in Cooling SYS? I noticed the water pump started seeping (good thing I planned on changing same time with hoses) so I have been experimenting and noticed that the lower the level got in Radiator the ENG would miss, but as I would fill to proper level the miss would away. The ECU TEMP Sensor checks out good for ohms reading, think I should just swap it out regardless? Is this a known issue?

V/R

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Which engine are you working on? Ive heard of issues like yours on the 3.0, never personaly experienced it.
Never had problems like that on a 22r though.

ARMTDAWG586064

Which engine are you working on? Ive heard of issues like yours on the 3.0, never personaly experienced it.
Never had problems like that on a 22r though.

The previous owner told me it is a 22RE out of a 95 Pickup from FL salvage yard with 80K miles on it. I just got TRK, so still trying to figure it all out. Don't know anything about Toyota's, so it's been fun T/S all the issue's on this thing. Would like to get FSM for it, but they are pretty proud of them.

V/R

Related Content You Might Like: