• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

95 TRK 22RE running bad

ARMTDAWG586064

Afternoon Sports Fans, new member. Just bought a 95 Pickup/4x4/EXT CAB/ 22RE no CA emissions. TRK has a secondary used ENG that was put in couple years ago with 80K+ miles on it. TRK has been sitting for the last year. The TRK has some issues the previous owner didn't want to mess with so I am trying to figure it out. He swears it ran fine and he showed all his maintenance records showing all he had done since owning.
Since he had the O2 sensor replaced he said it has ran different and he got tired TS it. When I got the TRK this is what it does and still doing, but not as bad. The problem is when the engine is cold, it runs fine, then as it starts to warm up, it starts surging, once it warms it it stops surging, but starts looping or missing, turn on the A/C and it smooths out. It kept getting a OBD 1 code of 25 (O2) I confirmed and replaced (someone had installed wrong one) the surging got a little bit better, then started doing same thing, than got a code 71 (EGR) I replaced EGR valve as it was clogged too bad to clean. I have cleaned the whole EGR and vacuum system no leaks or bad hoses or any other bad part that I could find. But once changed the EGR Valve, it is a bit better but it still does the same thing not as bad or all the time, also get a valve lash/clattering sound sometimes while driving but not all the same condition driving, none while idling. Any suggestions. Timing/plugs/wires good. No oil or water burn smoke off/loss.

V/R ARMTDAWG

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. You just got it, how long ago? The new(er) engine is the 22RE? Turning on the AC and having an effect is curious at the least. So once it's warmed up, you can turn on the AC and it drives smoothly? So it sat for a year due to these issues?

ARMTDAWG586064

Thank you for the welcome to....I bought it in APR. I know the owner, he was the second owner of it and he drove it all the time until year before last when he got a Mazda PKUP. Then he just parked it. I always wanted this yr/style TOY so I just asked if he would sell it. He explained he had replaced the ENG with the current one in it, it had 80k+ miles on it from auto yard out of FL. He said it was running fine (other than leaking valve cover gasket (i have replaced also). Sometime after the ENG replacement he noticed fuel mileage was getting worse so figured O2 might be going bad as TRK still had original (254K miles on it). As soon as he had it replaced ENG started having issues and fuel mileage got much worse. He tried figuring it out and quit and just let it sit other than starting every now and then circulate fluids. The mech he had put in the o2 put the wrong one in for CA emissions requirement, I have replaced and it all got better for awhile until the Code 71 tripped next. It seems to be getting better, and that's what is throwing me with the A/C when on, since changing out the EGR it seems to do the same thing with the A/C on now but not as bad.

ARMTDAWG586064

First off, welcome to the site. You just got it, how long ago? The new(er) engine is the 22RE? Turning on the AC and having an effect is curious at the least. So once it's warmed up, you can turn on the AC and it drives smoothly? So it sat for a year due to these issues?
Sorry, getting hang of using sight, Thanks for the welcome to...I think I have found my problem,
Would you happen to know where the EGR TEMP Sensor/Switch is on the 22RE and how to change it. It started running really bad again and ENG CHK lite came on with Code 71 again. Went to part store and researched down to this Sensor but they do not have description for location or how to change. Bought Hane's manual, but it only ref it in ENG block diagram, no location either. There are 2 vendors and a little pricey so need make sure I pick correct part.

V/R
ARMTDAWG586064

ARMTDAWG586064

From the picture you should be able to find it as it appears to thread into block,,,not cheap but going to the pick a part may also be a option. Let us know how you make out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-W01...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d3a05c2e&vxp=mtr
Thanks for info, did see that at Auto Zone but I could not find it on the EGR SYS or ENG. I have found out that the basic non-California emission 22RE does not have the Sensor on the EGR Valve (my doesn't) just vacuum connections. There is a plug pig-tailed off on the ENG for hook-up to the sensor. Did research on YouTube and found that you can insert a 10k resistor in the plug and it will send a ref signal to ECI and stop the issue's I am having. I just installed resistor today and all surging/looping and pinging has stopped. This is the first Toyota I have owned so way behind the learning curve on the 22RE. Looks like there are a lot of little things that effect the ECU/I signals. On too getting the ENG TEMP Sensor replaced and that should stop the ENG missing once the ENG warms up. Good thing I like to troubleshoot.

V/R

Related Content You Might Like: