• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'91 Pickup A43d Auto Trans Observations

gene

How difficult is it to check the Automatic transmission ATF level?

Seems like it is much more difficult than you might suspect.

I quote from the Toyota owners manual:

"Check the fluid level when the transmission is hot (normal operating temperature)"

Simple enough, right? Wrong!

Read on....

"if the vehicle has been driven over 10 miles or 16 km (15 miles or 24 km in frigid temperatures) and the fluid temperature is 160 F - 175 F, (70 C - 80 C) the transmission is hot"

(Raise your hand if you know of a typical owner who has a transmission temperature gauge on his truck.)

Next:

"If the vehicle has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic in hot weather, or if the vehicle has been pulling a trailer, an accurate fluid level cannot be obtained. Check the level after the fluid has cooled down (about 30 minutes)

There is more, (for those of you into self-torture)

"You may check the level when the transmission is cold. If the vehicle has not been driven for over 5 hours and the fluid is about room temperature (70 - 85 F or 20 C - 30 C) the transmission is cold. However, checking a cold transmission is for your reference only and the transmission must be checked again for correct level at normal operating temperature.

WHEW!

is this Waaay too complicated? I think so. Makes me want to hurt someone.

After changing the ATF 3 times, (The only way to completely flush the transmission short of disassembly) I figured this out;

To get a good dipstick reading, I drive 10 miles, then leaving the engine running, I pull the dipstick, clean it, and then check the reading. IF I need to add ATF, I repeat the above the next day. If I don't do it this way the added ATF that ran down the dipstick tube makes an accurate reading of the dipstick impossible.

Anyone that has tortured themselves by reading this far have any comments of stories?

Last edited:

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
How difficult is it to check the tranny fluid level?................................... Anyone that has tortured themselves by reading this far have any comments of stories?
So basically in a nutshell: check the transmission oil when at normal operating temps. I do the same thing if adding oil, check it another day.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
What is critical is you actually checked. Many people never look.
I was having concerns about a transmission in OT vehicle and bought digital temperature sensing thingys that you point at stuff to see how hot transmission was.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: