• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

86 Factory Turbo

Daniel Boyll

I don't post much on here so I'll run through my story real quick. Spring of 2014 I bought my 86 4x4 Hilux with the factory turbocharged motor I drove it for two weeks and the timing jumped, shearing 7 teeth off the lower timing gear, bending valves and smacking pistons. I've spent lots of time and money since then and eventually had to find a parts truck as I had moved and lost track of some parts along the way. Well after all this time I've finally got the old girl overhauled put together right and it starts, waiting for my second set of hands to help with break in run but it feels great to be this close to success. I had to put smaller tires on it those were my brother's and I was unable to get him to sell them to me .
20160123_194649.jpg

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Good to hear your getting her back on the road, turbo trucks of that vintage are getting scarce.

Daniel Boyll

Once I get it on the road it's going to be a work in progress driver/ restoration I've invested too much in it to sell and break even so I'm going to hang on to it and try to give it some gentle years

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
"Progress driver" is a great way to get the job done while enjoying your ride. Beats the hell out of plugging away at it for years as restorations are very time consuming.
I just stripped a parts truck,,,only that went to scrapper is box, cab and frame which got me $38.00 at the scrapyard. I sold a few parts locally but most I will keep other than interior parts. The wire harnesses are relatively easy to remove on these trucks but I would not want to ever have to change heater core...

Last edited:

Daniel Boyll

Yea biggest thing I'm looking for is a good factory bed I'm not a fan of the utility bed on it but it works. Heater core would definitely be a pain too but I have good axles frame doors fenders plenty of parts should the need arise I'll try to keep you guys updated best I can.

Daniel Boyll

Well status report so far I have a dead miss on cylinder 1 possible timing issue will look into that more next time, a few antifreeze leaks but I did get to hear the ol girl run for a few minutes and I took some pictures for you guys will get those uploaded soon

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Those beds are getting hard to find, they had corrosion issues that started not long after the bodystyle was introduced.
The SR5 style bed that was on SR5 and 4x4 trucks did a little better against corrosion vs the bed on 2wd deluxe trucks.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I would put a box on from other brand truck. Once painted it would blend in,,,not like we are taking these trucks to Pebble Beach. Possibly you could photoshop different brand box to see which you might prefer.

Daniel Boyll

Well been a while but update truck runs on all four sounds great can't wait to drive it. Do have a couple questions though keeps getting air in the water can get thermostat to open once then have to bleed system before getting it to circulate again never opens on its own any ideas? Also can't get water temp gauge to work properly it always shows normal even on cold start?

Daniel Boyll

Yea after 2 and a half years my son born around the same time as when I bought truck took its maiden voyage runs great and smooth doesn't overheat but I've discovered I still have an antifreeze leak to tighten up and my speedometer quit working other than that it felt great to finally drive it. And the whole time we were riding my son was smiling and jabbering away he liked it I'll try to get a video on my days off this week

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Nice, that's got to be a great feeling. How big of an antifreeze leak and where is it leaking? We lost a cat a few years ago due to a pipe bust that had just been a slow antifreeze leak.

Daniel Boyll

It's leaking somewhere towards the front drivers side bottom haven't been able to pinpoint it yet due to all the rain and from what I've noticed it only leaks after I've drove it and park it once it cools it stops.

Related Content You Might Like: