• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'74 Longbed brake job

Icepick

Very cool. A site for 2nd Gen trucks. I'm starting a brake job on my '74 Hilux Longbed. I'm probably going to need new or rebuilt wheel cylinders and possibly a new master cylinder or a rebuilt one. If nothing else, I'll need rebuild kits for the master cylinder and all four wheel cylinders. I've checked my local Toyota dealership with no luck. So I'm counting on you all. Anybody know of a place that sells OEM master cylinders, wheel cylinders? Or rebuilt ones? Or kits? Thanks for any help.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Contact the folks at trdparts4u.com, their pretty good at pulling obscure rabbits out of hats.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Trdparts4u is Toyota of Dallas, the parts department is unique for a dealership in the aspect that they deal in oem and aftermarket parts.

Icepick

Brake job update. Thanks to tbplus10 and his referral to Toyota of Dallas I can order two new brake cylinders for the driver and passenger side rear brakes. But according to the parts department at Toyota of Dallas, neither kits nor the front cylinders or master cylinder are available. More later....

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I drove this truck off the lot, new, in 1974 and I've been driving it ever since. So it's a one owner vehicle, the only new vehicle I've ever purchased.
Wow, that's impressive. I was 1 year old at the time, lol.

Icepick

Wow, that's impressive. I was 1 year old at the time, lol.
I was 27. The Oil Embargo was in full swing. It was the tail end of the muscle-car era. Gas went over (gasp!) $1 per gallon. V8s were out, 4 bangers were in and I wanted a truck. I bought the best one on the market and haven't looked back.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Brake job update. Thanks to tbplus10 and his referral to Toyota of Dallas I can order two new brake cylinders for the driver and passenger side rear brakes. But according to the parts department at Toyota of Dallas, neither kits nor the front cylinders or master cylinder are available. More later....
Ok, i'm not following. They're not made anymore or they just don't have them in stock, like a backorder?

Icepick

Ok, i'm not following. They're not made anymore or they just don't have them in stock, like a backorder?
Well, here's the quote from a Mr. Teckley in the parts department at Toyota of Dallas (great customer service BTW), "Driver rear side complete wheel cylinder PT# 47550-35160. Passenger rear side complete wheel cylinder PT# 47550-35160. Unfortunately the brake master cylinder and or rebuild kit are discontinued, along with the front wheel cylinders and or rebuild kits."

I took that to mean that that Toyota no longer supplies the kits or replacements for the master or wheel cylinders. So I'm placing an order today for the rear wheel cylinders and I'll keep looking for kits or replacements for the master cylinder and front wheel cylinders. I can't believe that someone isn't offering rebuilt masters and front wheel cylinders or at least kits. Can you help? As a last resort I may look into a disc brake conversion for the front end. I'll need to consult with other folks on this website to see what might work. Thanks for your interest.

Icepick

Brake job update: Ok, my local Napa parts dealer has located a master cylinder (new, I believe) in Portland, Ore. which I will order today. I'm trying to order two new rear wheel cylinders from Toyota of Dallas. I may have to settle for rebuild kits for the front wheel cylinders. More later...

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Wow,,certainly getting your nickels worth out of your truck owning it this long. I did not think the brake cylinders would be that rare. I haven't rebuilt a brake cylinder since the 70's. Post a picture of your truck

Icepick

Wow,,certainly getting your nickels worth out of your truck owning it this long. I did not think the brake cylinders would be that rare. I haven't rebuilt a brake cylinder since the 70's. Post a picture of your truck
Well, it's up on blocks right now, not looking its best. Maybe after the brake job. Thanks for your interest.

Icepick

Brake job update: Found new after-market front wheel cylinders through Cabe Toyota in Longbeach. Not cheap. $50 per cylinder, and there are two on each side, but with these parts, and if everything fits, my brake system should be as good as new. More later...

Icepick

Brake job update. Got all the parts. The rear wheel brake cylinders came from Toyota of Dallas. They are OEM. My local NAPA parts store found a rebuilt master cylinder in Philadelphia, not Portland as I mentioned earlier. Cabe Toyota, in Longbeach, Ca., located the 4 rebuilt wheel cylinders for the front brakes. I flushed all the brake lines with clean Dot 3 fluid and the rear brake cylinders are installed. I'll be installing the front brake wheel cylinders today, then the master cylinder followed by a system bleed and brake shoe adjustment. While under the front end I noticed the tie rod ends are pretty sloppy so that may be my next project.

Related Content You Might Like: