• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

5.7L V8 Tundra - Hard Starting in Really Cold Weather

steve0617

They must have fixed this for good. Just getting to freezing and my Tundra fires right up.
Nope. 2017 5.7 FFV... 11k miles. Never had a drop of E85. Been doing this on and off for 3 months. Thought it was bad fuel but then I started googling and found lots of problems on older models. Surprised to see my 17 is affected. Haven't read the ODBC alcohol percentage yet but I bet it's not 10 like the fuel in the tank...

This is a video of it taking 3 tries to get it actually fire. It's about 40* out when I took this a few days ago.

Going to the dealer in 2 days.

Stored trouble code of 'P1604 - Startability Malfunction.'

YOU THINK?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Nope. 2017 5.7 FFV... 11k miles. Never had a drop of E85. Been doing this on and off for 3 months. Thought it was bad fuel but then I started googling and found lots of problems on older models. Surprised to see my 17 is affected. Haven't read the ODBC alcohol percentage yet but I bet it's not 10 like the fuel in the tank...

This is a video of it taking 3 tries to get it actually fire. It's about 40* out when I took this a few days ago.

Going to the dealer in 2 days.

Stored trouble code of 'P1604 - Startability Malfunction.'

YOU THINK?

Good video of it. Took over 15 seconds to start up. I've also got a 2017 Tundra with the 5.7 and have not had this happen and we've had a few cold days sub-zero since i've owned the truck, so just keep my fingers crossed.

How long has this been a problem @steve0617 ? You said 3 months but never did it before? Are you the first owner?

steve0617

Good video of it. Took over 15 seconds to start up. I've also got a 2017 Tundra with the 5.7 and have not had this happen and we've had a few cold days sub-zero since i've owned the truck, so just keep my fingers crossed.

How long has this been a problem @steve0617 ? You said 3 months but never did it before? Are you the first owner?
Original owner purchased new in May of 17. Was fine until about this summer when we were camping (i had forgotten it first started 6 months ago) and it did the two full start cycles to get it to start. Didn't think much of it as I had gassed up at a rural gas station and the truck had sat in the high altitude (about 10,500') for a few days. Didn't start happening again until about October.

Now that it's cold (ish) here in Denver, it's doing it almost every time I start it after it's sat for 8+ hours. All kinds of gas brands, Top Tier, different octanes, all of it. Still stumbles. Even ran 2 doses of Techron through it in case it was a dirty fuel system. Didn't help. That's when I started googling.

What's weird though is when I ran it down to empty and added the Techron with 12 gallons of Premium Shell, it ran fine. When I gassed up (after running out the Techron) with about 19 gallons (I have the 38 gallon tank) my usual Phillips 76 85 octane (our regular gas, and what I've always used), the next day it started stumbling again. Filled it to full with Premium (in case the 85 octane was the issue) so now I've got probably 88 octane or so, it still runs like hell.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Original owner purchased new in May of 17. Was fine until about this summer when we were camping (i had forgotten it first started 6 months ago) and it did the two full start cycles to get it to start. Didn't think much of it as I had gassed up at a rural gas station and the truck had sat in the high altitude (about 10,500') for a few days. Didn't start happening again until about October.

Now that it's cold (ish) here in Denver, it's doing it almost every time I start it after it's sat for 8+ hours. All kinds of gas brands, Top Tier, different octanes, all of it. Still stumbles. Even ran 2 doses of Techron through it in case it was a dirty fuel system. Didn't help. That's when I started googling.

What's weird though is when I ran it down to empty and added the Techron with 12 gallons of Premium Shell, it ran fine. When I gassed up (after running out the Techron) with about 19 gallons (I have the 38 gallon tank) my usual Phillips 76 85 octane (our regular gas, and what I've always used), the next day it started stumbling again. Filled it to full with Premium (in case the 85 octane was the issue) so now I've got probably 88 octane or so, it still runs like hell.
Let us know what the dealership says. Since there's a TSB on this they should be able to flash and update the system on the fly for you. How many miles on the odometer?

steve0617

Let us know what the dealership says. Since there's a TSB on this they should be able to flash and update the system on the fly for you. How many miles on the odometer?
It's a 17. The TSB does not apply as that is only through the 15s. You'd assume the TSB flash is already applied to the 17s.

I have 11k on it.

And if this turns into a thing, I can't attempt to lemon it since Colorado lemon law only works for problems that start within the first year .

Hopefully the dealer is cool.

Also, I got my ODBC working. Fuel assumption is ethanol and the % of alcohol is 64.71%.

Fantastic

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
It's a 17. The TSB doesdoe apply as that is only through the 15s. You'd assume the TSB flash is already applied to the 17s.

I have 11k on it.

And if this turns into a thing, I can't attempt to lemon it since Colorado lemon law only works for problems that start within the first year .

Hopefully the dealer is cool.

Also, I got my ODBC working. Fuel assumption is ethanol and the % of alcohol is 64.71%.

Fantastic
64%?

fxbrokersCego

Former Member
Появится окно, в котором парсер просматривает данные. a9m Среди особенностей этого парсера: Доступ через браузер. ecap Неважно, насколько сильно стараются разработчики этих инструментов. mv4you

fxbrokersCego

Former Member
Теперь вы наверняка убедились в том, что парсер Авито сэкономит ваше время и силы, не выполняя рутинные задачи вручную. blood-arena Таким образом, не смотря на все возможности в бесплатной версии программа подойдет для парсинга небольшого объема информации, если это ваш вариант, то она станет отличным выбором. rytmika-gdansk Для парсинга это не столь важно, потому что все равно отправляется с бота. educatingmom

steve0617

VERY late update.

With the TSB now covering my year, I took it in to the dealer.

Had code P1604 and the alcohol % was 78.04%. Truck had a combo of alcohol free from the prevous fill up and E10 from the current top off.

I even made 7 YT videos I took in case the dealer didn't believe me as of COURSE it was starting fine right now.

Service Advisor started off saying it was a 'long process that will require analysis and paperwork to Toyota to get it approved. Will take a few weeks of back and forth to get it approved and fixed.'

Not having any recourse other than thinking this was bullshit, I went with it.

Miraculously, two hours later, they 'had enough information and it's been approved.' Three hours after that, fuel pump replaced and ECM reset/reprogrammed per the TSB.

Too early to tell but alcohol is showing 0% which is obviously wrong but I'll take it.....

Related Content You Might Like: