• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2003 Toyota Tundra Fuel Consumption

Tallyther

I have a 2003 V8 4X4 Tunra I love with one exception. Gas mileage is poor. It averages about 15 mpg. I noticed in Consumer reports that subsequent years this went up. So what can I change that toyota changed to make my mileage better?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
RE: Fuel Consumption

It's getting to quite a few things. I don't recall specifically on the 03 Tundra, but quite often it's a whole lot of stuff. Lighter weight, tighter engines with better compression and fuel delivery. Better EGR systems, etc. I guess it's possible that there is one or two things that you can do, I'll look into it.

Now, on your 03, you can make certain that you keep it well maintained. Keep the tires properly inflated and clean/replace your air filter. That alone can starve your engine and give you 1-2 MPG worse if it's dirty.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, it's also how you drive it. Take care to driver slower, do the speed limit, don't gun it hard off the line and don't brake hard either.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
your rear gearing will impact mileage the most. match your gears so that at whatever cruising speed you choose the engine rpm's are 2500-2700. I know it sounds backwards like the rpm's should go lower to get better mileage, but it's true. Your optimum volumetric effeicency is what you're looking for. It also makes less work for the engine when starting and stopping.

You should be able to get the whole thing said and done for around $500. You will have to decide if it's worth it in gas savings. You should also factor into that equation the fact that your truck will be so much more fun to drive.

I run 305/65-17 about 32" tall, with 4.88 gears. I'm running about 2750 rpm at 75 and get easily 17, if I baby it I get 20. Mashing it I get 15. Zero aerodynamics in place, no bumper valance, no bed, Tires pushed out 3.5" perside with Long Travel suspension, etc.

Also have Long Tube header, fabricated my own mufflers and true dual exhaust. Bypassed the coolant to throttle body, DirtydeedsIndustries.com electric fan conversion, etc. Here's a video on the dyno.

Last edited by a moderator:

bebtunes

100 Posts
sounds like you really need to listen to what others are sayin cause if you think about it, then yeah you might want to do some mods but you might also want to take care of it

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
In the end I think it all comes down to 1) Speed, 2) Maintenance and 3) Environment / Traffic.

Speed. When you're going 80 MPH down the freeway, all that resistance kills your MPG. The studies show that about 50 is the sweet-spot for the best MPG (sorry, it's true).

Maintenance. When you don't get everything maintained and serviced proerly you end up with premature engine wear, clogged filters and not enough air getting into the fuel/air mixture. That will hurt MPG over time.

Traffic. No matter how well you maintain your truck, if you drive in stop and go traffic, or do a lot of mountain climbing (hill climbing to some degree), then you will also see a HUGE decrease in MPG. Towing hurts too.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Do the maintenance by the book and then use a fuel system cleaner on a regular basis, that will help. I use either RXP or SeaForm.

meanToy

100 Posts
I didn't see the miles on this truck. I agree with MT above that you should always start with maintenance (air filters, oil filters, lube, EGR valves, breathers, etc.) and always give an older engine some type of fuel system cleaner, I agree 100% with that statement.

Related Content You Might Like: