• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2000 driveshaft trouble

Rootie

Hi I just thought I fixed a problem with the driveshaft on my 2 k Tacoma. It seemed like a bad u-joint so I've replaced the front (at transfer case) and the rear( at pumpkin) and center support bearing. The vibration didn't go away and is now worse. It starts as soon as the engine is moving in gear and causes an awful vibration and loss of power. My gut feeling is that it's in the driveline but is there an engine problem anyone has had that could feel like a bad driveshaft?
The two center u-joints in the driveshaft seemed to be ok when I had the shaft removed and the manual says they're unserviceable. I've also replaced the MAF sensor recently which when bad causes a huge loss of power but not driveline vibration. Thanks for your responses and Help Please! Thanks, Rootie

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Vibration and loss of power sounds like you may either have a clutch, transmission, or trans case issue.
Figuring out which wont be easy.
Probably start by doing a fluid change on the trans and t case and screening the fluid for metal particles.
Output shaft bearings on the t case can cause the symptoms you have.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah. The loss of power is a clue that you're looking at something earlier than the driveline.

Rootie

Well I did what was suggested elsewhere in this forum. I removed the entire driveshaft from transfer case to rear end and then drive it around in 4 hi, thus using only the front axles. The vibration disappeared... I am still having a bit of an engine issue but hoping its a bad plug or wire. Going to have the shaft balanced and I will post the results. Note to anyone attempting to do their own u-joints or support bearing- it is crucial to mark everything on the shaft that could be put back in a different position. U-joint yokes, rear end slider shaft, and mid shaft bearing plate. I can assure you that putting these components back together incorrectly indexed will certainly cause the driveshaft to be out of balance.

Related Content You Might Like: