• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1993 truck help

Hello

I have a 1993 Toyota truck 4x4 with the v6 engine. It was running fine, then yesterday while driving 65 on the freeway everything cut out. All the electrical cut out and the engine died. Within 2 seconds everything started again.

I made it to work and almost home. Right before I got home everything cut out again and the truck totally died. I tried to start it but the engine would not turn over. The starter worked, so did the radio and lights. I let the truck sit for 15 minutes and it fired up and ran the rest of the way home. It sputtered a few times but I did get home. I drove it today and it drove ok for 3-5 miles and then it sputtered out again.

The battery is fine and so are the connections. I don't think it's the distributor, as it seems to be an electrical issues. Advance auto said it could be the electrical control Module. The ECM is $250 to replace. Before I spend the $250 on a guess, I thought I'd post here and we if anyone has had the same issue or any possible solutions. Thanks for any help.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site!

How do you know the battery and connections are fine? It's hard to really know what's going on, but my first thought is that it's got to be the battery connections. Where is the negative going to from the battery, is that clean? Also, check to make certain that it's good good spark and good fuel.

Also, you might want to have your ignition module tested out, I had a friend with a '91 v6 and his ignition module went bad on him and it would short out while he was driving and he would lose all power for a minute or two.

supernovax3

100 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't spend $250 on something it "could be". Many people at Advanced Auto can be great with cars, but they are still retail workers, not trained professionals. I would have a mechanic look at it ASAP, even if it might cost more, you'll know exactly whats going on.

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't spend $250 on something it "could be". Many people at Advanced Auto can be great with cars, but they are still retail workers, not trained professionals. I would have a mechanic look at it ASAP, even if it might cost more, you'll know exactly whats going on.

Agreed. Don't spend the money unless you know that is the problem. $250 really isn't a small amount of money....

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I have a 1993 Toyota truck 4x4 with the v6 engine. It was running fine, then yesterday while driving 65 on the freeway everything cut out. All the electrical cut out and the engine died. Within 2 seconds everything started again.

I made it to work and almost home. Right before I got home everything cut out again and the truck totally died. I tried to start it but the engine would not turn over. The starter worked, so did the radio and lights. I let the truck sit for 15 minutes and it fired up and ran the rest of the way home. It sputtered a few times but I did get home. I drove it today and it drove ok for 3-5 miles and then it sputtered out again.

The battery is fine and so are the connections. I don't think it's the distributor, as it seems to be an electrical issues. Advance auto said it could be the electrical control Module. The ECM is $250 to replace. Before I spend the $250 on a guess, I thought I'd post here and we if anyone has had the same issue or any possible solutions. Thanks for any help.

Hi! any updates, How did you get this figured out?

86pudlx

I just tested my ignition module. Google search ignition module testing. Use advanced search and specify pdf format. It should give you a page with instruction on how to test it.

That does sound symptomatic of an ignition module with high resistance. I hope your tests go well, but if they don't, LC Engineering sells a crane ignition kit for $224.95 w/ adjustable rev limiter and new coil. I believe it also has a CARB# if your worried about smog.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I just tested my ignition module. Google search ignition module testing. Use advanced search and specify pdf format. It should give you a page with instruction on how to test it.

That does sound symptomatic of an ignition module with high resistance. I hope your tests go well, but if they don't, LC Engineering sells a crane ignition kit for $224.95 w/ adjustable rev limiter and new coil. I believe it also has a CARB# if your worried about smog.

Nice information thanks for your search, Hope that Hello will update us on this

Related Content You Might Like: