• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1991 Hilux pickup

Aoex

Hi, I have a relatively well taken care of 1991 Hilux pickup Extended Cab, the V6 3.0L 3VZ-E engine version, I wanted to do some performance upgrades on it, first thing I thought of was the ignition coil, but I have only found stock replacements so far... I have found a few performance ignition coils for the smaller 4 cylinder 22R-E engine, but It baffles me that they would make performance parts for the smaller engine. If anyone can give some information about this and/or other performance upgrade options, would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The 3vze engine wasnt a favorite from the begining, and relatively early on it began having problems with head gaskets.
The head gasket issues coupled with lackluster horsepower that was barely abouve what the 22RE of the day could turn out made it a lame duck engine that found almost no support in the aftermatket.
Most guys at that time looking for more performance installed either a GM 4.3, 5.7, or a built 22RE.
After 1996 builders favored the 2.7, and 3.4, along with the GM engines.
Just not many options with that engine. Ive heard some 3.4 parts would work on that engine to hotrod it but I dont know which ones. Also some of the older Supera performance parts are supposed to be bolt on.

Cali4rnr

100 Posts
The stock ignition coil provides all the spark energy u need. Don't waste ur $! The head gasket issue is caused by the exhaust crossover pipe that cooks the rear cylinders. The solution is also the biggest performance gainer; headers. Headers along with a free flowing cat and muffler will get the most HP out of these motors that's possible(which isn't much). Doug Thorley is the only one I know of making headers for the 3.slow. And they aint cheap!

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
That's the first explanation I have heard regarding the cause of head gasket failure on the 3.l. I had one in 4runner and my experience was head gaskets were reliable for 160k to 200k . Wonder how many extra kms I could have gotten by adding headers..Last time I saw my 4 runner after selling was at the scrapyard and I bought back my hitch and spare tire(which had never been used in 20 years) for $20.00 .That said otherwise it was a great truck and did its share of towing, great for cab heat...and this morning a balmy minus -47 with the chillfactor

Attachments

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The first time Ive ever heard that explanation also.
Toyota had a huge recall and replaced the head gaskets with better ones and kind of solved the problem, engines could run between 160 to 200k before blowing gaskets.
Ive known more than a few owners that used headers and still suffered headgasket issues, its just a fact of life with the 3.0 engine, along with the lack of performance and ways to increase performance.
Thankfully the 3.4 was almost a direct bolt in.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Like that 40's Ford pick-up Jazz, was that a rebuilder project you did?
Your poor 4Runner suffered a problem every 4Runner used to tow suffered from, dragging the back end, the coil springs sagged when moderately loaded, add a trailer and they sank almost to the bottom.
Which is to bad because in every other respect 4Runners were good tow vehicles.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
We replaced complete spring bodies on my sons 89 Toyota truck last winter and we were not impressed with the new springs. They just did not carry weight well. You could tell when he had a full tank of gas as the truck would drop almost 2'' with a full tank of gas. Possibly adding 1 extra leaf would be a solution.
The 40's truck is a '41 International, yes I did a complete frame off..here's a link to pics of the build. Currently building a 48 chev sedan delivery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22832895@N08/sets/72157627714792392/

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Sorry about that, in the pic I thought the grill had verticle bars.
Rare to see a build on an International.
I like the baby moon caps they look good, the truck turned out nice.
For your sons truck you might be interested in the RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension) http://www.activesuspension.com/
I use the system on my 2011 Silverado 1500 C/C, it retains the comfortable factory ride but gets rid of any squat from loads or trailers.

hcobbyota93

Have a 91 toyota with a 5 speed it pops out of 1st gear. What is it from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your shift lever bushings and seat and cap are more than likely worn out. Mine had so much slack that it would almost wrap around the transfer case shifter when puttin it in reverse. I changed those parts and it shifts like a better than a new truck. No slack at all. I would try that first it's a 30 dollar fix

Related Content You Might Like: