• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1990 Pickup - Is this rust too much? Winter beater

Brandon Bench

I am looking for a nice winter beater preferably with 4 wheel drive. I came across this 1990 toyota pickup with 113k. inspection just ran out. Cosmetically it doesnt look bad at all for a 20 year old truck. the only problem I found was rust underneath the truck. I do not know if this is okay or if the rust is too bad to drive for the winter. Please tell me what you think. Thanks!
I only have about 1200 bux to spend on a winter beater...

IMG_4503.jpg
IMG_5939.jpg
IMG_8937.jpg
IMG_9808.jpg

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
its ugly,,I would beat on the rust with a hammer to see if its surface rust or rot...The frame is what is critical and so far what you are showing is not that bad. I replaced spring shackles on a 89 that were paper thin although the rest of the under side was solid. We oil the crap out of our trucks,,including frames,inside doors,rockers,engine compartment,,anything the sprayer will reach. I use Rustcheck tm or Krown tm,,something you may want to consider if you drag that truck home

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, all trucks have rust, but that truck has a lot of rust and it just depends on where you live and if it's going to get any worse. This was two weeks ago, did you buy the truck?

James

100 Posts
If it runs and doesn't cost you a lot, why not. However, I hope nothing falls off of it while you are driving down the road.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Thats a lot of rust, keep in mind any frame or suspension repairs will probably double in cost due tothe work involved getting fasteners off and the extra parts needed for any repair.
How corroded is the body?
It would have to be a great purchase price for the truck.

hcobbyota93

Just read that u haven't bought it yet but for a truck wit only 113 k miles and 1200 dollars I would really find out how bad the rust actually is and whether or not it can be fixed because some of that rust looks like its startin to eat through pretty deep.

Hanau

Not exactly the same location as yours but can compare the two rigs. These are from my dad '90 regular cab, SR5, so cal truck.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Related Content You Might Like: