Swap Toyota Tundra brakes on 2001 Tacoma

toyotain2

Can I replace the larger Tundra rotors ,pads,calipers,and backing plate on my 2001 and if so which years will fit?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Nice upgrade. I've never done this but I've known people who upgraded from a Tacoma that's about your vintage with a Tundra's rotors, brakes, etc.

First, the Tundra rotors and calipers should bolt up to your Tacoma spindles, but you'll have to modify the brake backing plate to clear the larger calipers, then of course you'll have to do all of the other brake stuff like bleeding, etc. Do you have a donor vehicle that you're pulling from? The front suspension of the Tacomas and Tundras have a lot of similarities so good luck to you on this. If you do the project please considering taking step-by-step photos.

toyotain2

Nice upgrade. I've never done this but I've known people who upgraded from a Tacoma that's about your vintage with a Tundra's rotors, brakes, etc.

First, the Tundra rotors and calipers should bolt up to your Tacoma spindles, but you'll have to modify the brake backing plate to clear the larger calipers, then of course you'll have to do all of the other brake stuff like bleeding, etc. Do you have a donor vehicle that you're pulling from? The front suspension of the Tacomas and Tundras have a lot of similarities so good luck to you on this. If you do the project please considering taking step-by-step photos.
Thanks for reply. Just read about this swap on another site. I 'm trying to figure out how many years I can go up on the parts. I am still researching a bit. But the larger rotors,pads and calipers would have to help with the constant vibrations. Plus new at this too. Plus the truck has a 4" lift on it researching that too: bought it that way. Still haven't
checked the rear proportioning adjuster either.Like I say just getting started.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
For your Tacoma, you will need to stick with six lug bolt components, which are used ONLY on the first gen Tundras. From 2007-present, Tundras only have 5 lugs. Also, there are several different calipers used on early gen 1 Tundras, so I would use parts from 05-06 if at all possible.

FYI, a 4-inch lift "may" cause vibration issues, especially if you have oversize wheels/tires too.

Also, if your vibration happens ONLY when braking, your rotors are likely warped. You may be able to have them machined, or just buy some new ones--much simpler than swapping components, plus you can get new rotors that are drilled/slotted to improve braking performance. But, if you buy new rotors, be sure to buy new pads and then break in the pads properly.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: