• Check out the new Highlander Hybrid.

Ford vs. Ferrari movie & continuation Cobras & Shelby cars

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Shelby "built" about 1/2 Of the GT40s used at LeMans in 1966. Holman/Moody (yes, THAT Holman/Moody) built the rest. I'm waiting to see if that is mentioned in the movie. This isn't a secret, just a lot of people don't know this.

I'll withhold my opinion of Damon as Shelby until I see the movie. Hard to find another actor who could portray Shelby--he was one of a kind. Not sure about Christian Bale as Ken Miles either.

Shelby "continuation" cars are as real as they come. Shelby in Las Vegas sells them too, alongside all the Shelby Mustangs they build there. I always visit them when I'm in Vegas.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Shelby "built" about 1/2 Of the GT40s used at LeMans in 1966. Holman/Moody (yes, THAT Holman/Moody) built the rest. I'm waiting to see if that is mentioned in the movie. This isn't a secret, just a lot of people don't know this.

I'll withhold my opinion of Damon as Shelby until I see the movie. Hard to find another actor who could portray Shelby--he was one of a kind. Not sure about Christian Bale as Ken Miles either.

Shelby "continuation" cars are as real as they come. Shelby in Las Vegas sells them too, alongside all the Shelby Mustangs they build there. I always visit them when I'm in Vegas.
I've not been to Vegas in 2 years, I'll check it out next time im out there.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I think this may be one of those movies where you have to sit back and enjoy the story, sounds and vintage cars. Forget about the actors and acting--those will be secondary and unimportant. In other words, suppress your disbelief.

And, as with everything Shelby, you'll likely ask: "Did this shit really happen?" Of course, the answer is likely: "Yes."

I'll wait till the video comes out on the net, Still refuse to fund the pervert anti-USA crowd of Hollywood and the left. Carrol Shelby and crew were what the communist Hollywood left hated, now they make their payday off their their sweat. Most people just want to be entertained but to me at what cost?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Saw the movie this afternoon with my wife and our neighbor. All 3 of us really liked the movie. It was VERY well done, and showed not only some fantastic racing scenes, but the insane politics that exist in the corporate world. Almost as insane as the politics in Washington. Wait, I take that back. Washington these days is worse, MUCH worse. I feel sorry for our country.

Hey, it's a great movie, and any car/truck fan should not miss it.

tibadoe

Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I'll just wait for it to hit Netflix. Sounds like a good movie.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
When I lived in El Segundo (near LA) in 1969, Shelby still occupied the warehouse and production site/hanger at LAX and had a separate office/sales outlet just a couple of blocks from my apartment. At the time I owned a 1966 Mustang convertible and was a VERY good customer at the Shelby store.

In about 1975 or so, I had an opportunity to buy a 1966 Shelby GT350 for around $8000, but decided it may not be a good daily driver and passed. Oh, how I regret not buying that car. It was only 10 years old, in mint condition in Northern California, so not one spec of rust. Ran like a champ too.

Even after becoming a Toyota guy, I remain a Shelby and Mustang fanatic. I simply love his business/success model and the vehicles he and his company has produced over the years (with a few exceptions). Interestingly, my wife has fallen in love with Shelby Raptors, but THAT ain't gonna happen.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Also, this Google Trends chart for people searching for "Carroll Shelby" pretty much shows that even though this wasn't a super historically accurate movie, it did boost the Shebly name.

1574871961843.png

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I can't believe that this video of Lee Iacocca on Jay Leno's garage was posted 6 years ago!!!! Seems like yesterday. You could see that his health and energy levels were failing at that time, he passed away in July of this year.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... Just re-watched this video on Lee Iacocca. See, this is what ticks me off about movies. With Lee Iacocca literally starning right there, Bob Fria (author of "Mustang Genesis") tells the story of Carroll Shelby going to Iacocca's office to ask for help with the Cobra. Not the other way around.

Watch the Jay Leno video right around the 05:00 minute mark and you'll see.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
It's.....just.....a…..movie. Hollywood has never bothered with historical accuracy. It's all about the entertaining the audience with a good story.

You MUST suspend your disbelief. Or not bother watching.

Related Content You Might Like: