• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Yes, Virginia, there is such a thing as a bag of license plate screws...

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Welcome to my world, where I relocated from a state that only required one license plate, to a state that requires both front and rear. I paid over $800 for new plates, and they couldn't throw in a dollar's worth of screws along with them? Thanks, Adams County, Colorado :p

Don't be fooled by some of the less knowledgeable employees at Home Depot, who will tell you that "any screws will do,". Behold! A package of License Plate Bolts, labeled accordingly, and readily available in any Home Depot store, for about $1.05. I'm sure every store is going to have a slightly different layout, but I found these at the bottom center of the display. Hope that helps others who are on the hunt for these things.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea HomeDepot employees can sometimes be a challenge.
Those are Zinc plated, if I may recommend next time look for Stainless Steel screws, probably cost about a $1 more per bag but they ressist corrosion much better. Which can be an issue where your at.
$800? Is that including some sort of transfer fee or all registration?

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Stainless steel... good suggestion for next time. Not gonna worry about mine... they just went into the front, onto the plastic mounting bracket anyway. Plus, I covered it with a rubber Flexyframe license plate cover, so the screws are completely protected from the elements, too. Here's a product shot from Amazon:

Yeah, $800 to surrender my Florida registration and get a new set of Colorado plates. Craziness. My old county in the Florida Keys was only $421 ($221 to transfer existing plates within the state). Nuts! :p Oh well... had to be done. At least my Colorado driver's license only cost $21. That was a bargain, after all this. LOL!

Perackfez

I can see in your signature there's no front license plate. Might have to update it, even if it makes the car's looks lessen. (Biggest reason I don't like license plates) I have never seen a plate of a state that I liked, really. These are pretty bland and ugly, for sure. FlexyFrame looks cool, I might invest in that!

rickoshay45

And Florida doesn't refund any money. They just give you a letter to show you already paid the one time fee so yo9u don't have to pay it again.
The Keys to Colorado that's quite a change.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, that's one of the joys of moving. I remember when I moved from Seattle to Dallas, Texas ... WAAAAAAAAY back in August of 1999 (wow, has it been 15 years in just a couple of weeks?) ... Washington State had some pretty high registration fees for automobiles, I guess similarly to what Colorado is at now (again, 15 years later) ... but the citizens got sick of paying for really high registration fees so they voted them down and people started to complain ...

anyhow, Texas (I read on another website, lol) I guess just added a law where all vehicles must have two license plates ... which I'm not really against all that much, except that it uglies up the front profile of the vehicle.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... although looking at the 'flexy frame', I can see how that might break up the "flat ugly look" of a straight license plate attached to the front.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I have no idea at all if this is accurate, but I found a list claiming to show the states that require front license plates vs. only requiring the rear plate. http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/license-plate-laws.html

The site claims that 31 states require both the front and the rear. Thus leaving 19 states that only require the rear plate ...
The 19 states that require only the rear license plate are:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia

Perackfez

I feel like I can't trust websites that aren't directly affiliated to the government. May I wish it was true, I wouldn't want to base myself off that and be found with a ticket later. If it is true, then all 19 of those states are lucky :[

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Anyone from any of those states validate if that's a good list for your state?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
In the mid 90's I remember Georgia requiring front and rear plates, that couldve changed in the last 20yrs though.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
With more and more states adding toll roads and with more and more of those being automated ... I'll be shocked if all states don't eventually require a front + back plate. One day probably a RFID as well.

With more and more states adding toll roads and with more and more of those being automated ... I'll be shocked if all states don't eventually require a front + back plate. One day probably a RFID as well.
i just watched a movie "brick mansion" the other day and thats how it was set up

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
both plates are recommended in maine but ive seen alot with vanity plates .some get pulled over others dont.
Im seeing only newer vehicles with both front and back plates. Why not put plates on both sides while we're at it?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
both plates are recommended in maine but ive seen alot with vanity plates .some get pulled over others dont.
I think more and more states are going with toll roads, so they want a front and back plate to get them with cameras. More big brother if you ask me.

Related Content You Might Like: