• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Will not start...Just clicks. 1994 Toyota Pickup with 22RE

Boisean

Wondering what this could be. She has started up everytime except today. I get power to everything when the key is turned but when I move it to start, all I get is a "Click" and nothing else. I've checked all the fuses and connection to the battery and everything seems to be fine. Can a starter just go out overnight?

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
yes it could have a flat spot on the starter that it cant get by if its a manual let it drift and dump the clucth it aint a manual get somebody to try starting it and hit the starter with a hammer it should do the trick if not i would replace the starter

5.7yotafan

100 Posts
Yep! Give her a good wack and see what happens, I've also had a battery die on me due to a bad alternator and everything had power, radio, lights, etc worked fine but it would click also, I'd check and make sure the battery has a full charge.

Boisean

Status......I found a loose connection of the positive lead on the starter. I tightened it up and now it doesn't even click, just makes a low humming sound when I turn the key. I tried to bump start the truck to bypass the starter, but nothing. Thinking it was electrical I replaced the battery cables (battery has full charge) and it still does the same thing. I was going to pull the starter and have it checked but dang that thing is in there. Any ideas on a way to pull the starter without taking the whole EFI manifold off? (BTW, it is a 1994 pickup with the 22RE)

5.7yotafan

100 Posts
Good luck dude! Some of those starters are a pain, without seeing it, I can't help you on a way to take it off, I wouldn't think you'd have to take off the manifold though.

barraza

Yesterday i parked my 1986 22r in the drive way came back an hour or so later and tryed to start no go just got a light click thinking it was the battery i was about to swap it out then checked the battery voltage it was right at 12. wtf? poked around for a min and it turned out to be the small plastic connecter going to the starter had a lil corrosion but hardly visable in it so i sprayed it with contact cleaner put it back on and she started right up. Very glad it was so simple. Just thought it was possable you have a simmalar problem. poke it with a multimeter it you have one make sure your geting juice everywhere your suppose to when you turn the key. I hope you have the same problem i did since its about the cheapest and easyiest to fix-Jay

02 Taco

Take your battery and starter to a auto parts store and they'll tell you which ones bad. Call first to see if they have the testing equipment.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
Take your battery and starter to a auto parts store and they'll tell you which ones bad. Call first to see if they have the testing equipment.
My question about that is if the starter has a flat spot on it will the tester pick that up or will it show it good and it really aint

glassdoc

With this summer's heat wave. Batteries are taking a beating. Sealed, maintenance free doesn't matter. You may have a bad plate in the battery. Try another battery before you pull the starter. Very seldom do the starters on a Toyota truck go bad unless... You have been in the mud an awful lot. And even then, alternators tend to go before the starters do.

bebtunes

100 Posts
have a mechanic look at it when you can, or get an alternator, another battery and another starter, it should be one of those, once you figure out what it is, return the rest then it saves you money

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What type of truck was this? I didn't see it posted in the signature OR in the body of the post. (I just read it's a 1994 pickup with the 22RE).

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Wow. It could be battery, starter, alternator, charging system, battery cables, ignition switch ... lots of things it could end up being.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
try the starter sometimes the starter can get a flat spot in it and it will do nothing but click i had a 91 toyota that did the same thing but it didnt do it all the time just when it hit that one spot. but dont rule out the battery, alt, but i leaning toward the starter

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Toyota makes a kit to rebuild the starter, replaces the brush's and contact points, the kit can be installed while the starter is still under (not installed but under the truck) but it's easier to do if you get the starter out.
The starter can be removed by wiggling it out, kind of a pain and just as hard to get back in but it will come out.
Once unbolting the starter you have to stand it on it's end and work it out between the frame and everything else.

Blueberries

Give her a good wack and see what happens, I've also had a battery die on me due to a bad alternator and everything had power, radio, lights, etc worked fine but it would click also, I'd check and make sure the battery has a full charge.

MD_Weems

100 Posts
Alternator is a bad culprit, I would make sure that you check easy things first: battery cables, battery, etc. If you can get your truck to a larger auto store chain (AutoZone, O'Riellys, etc), they can put a computer on it so that you can see exactly what is wrong. That is what I would suggest before digging into something expensive.

danstpierre

100 Posts
I'm just wondering. Why is it hat most problems posted here are related or relating to 1994 Toyota pick up. Should Toyota have done a recall 18 years ago? Or just some proper maintenance is needed?

antonino

100 Posts
The climate took a tool in your truck's battery, most probably. You can have it checked and changed.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Wondering what this could be. She has started up everytime except today. I get power to everything when the key is turned but when I move it to start, all I get is a "Click" and nothing else. I've checked all the fuses and connection to the battery and everything seems to be fine. Can a starter just go out overnight?

Hi, any updates, Did you get this figured out? How did you fix the issue so far?

Related Content You Might Like: