• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Why are Toyota Catalytic Converters Stolen? One Word: Platinum Costs.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Why do Catalytic Converters get stolen?

As Platinum costs rise, the Catalytic Converter becomes a hot commodity. Modern thieves looking for a serious payoff are skipping the obvious old staples and crawling underneath your car in search of the real prize: the catalytic converter. Standard issue on cars in this country since the mid-1970s, catalytic converters use a small amount of platinum to convert harmful engine emissions, including nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide, into less harmful ones, like nitrogen and carbon dioxide.

In the last few years, Platinum has reached prices upwards of $2,100 per ounce! Since your truck's cat may have between three and seven grams of Platimum, that little metal box under your car just became a whole lot more interesting to theives looking to score some quick cash.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
ok, i have enough to worry about as a girl. I have to watch where i park, travel in groups when I can, make sure I have my cell phone with me at all times.

Now I have to worry about getting my catalytic converter CUT OUT FROM UNDER MY TRUCK WHEN I PARK SOMEWHERE?

What's the world come to, this really sucks.

MD_Weems

100 Posts
I agree Jenny - I had no idea those had platinum in them... b-e-a-utiful. Now I get to worry about that too along with all that other fun crap you mentioned. Ugggggg. Can I just hire a bodyguard? LOL

danstpierre

100 Posts
Why not put it this way: If you're too afraid your car, or something from it will be stolen, then don't drive it. Just display it in your lawn! End of argument.

antonino

100 Posts
Heck, as long as you follow some safety rules and you are careful, nobody can steal from you. It is just a matter of safety, and how you take care of your truck.

balihaisen

100 Posts
Safety should be your priority. You're safe and your car, and everything in it should also be safe.

Related Content You Might Like: