• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Which muffler to retain power from broken muffler

Rota

Several years ago the muffler on my 1988 Toyota 6 cyl. 4wd truck developed a pleasing rumble. Along with the noise there seemed to be an increase in power. However the tail pipe fell off the other day so I guess I have the choice of replacing muffler or breathing CO. I'm thinking I could maintain and perhaps increase the power by replacing the muffler with something with less resistance than the stock unit, Is Flow Master a good choice? Other suggestions?

Rota

Several years ago the muffler on my 1988 Toyota 6 cyl. 4wd truck developed a pleasing rumble. Along with the noise there seemed to be an increase in power. However the tail pipe fell off the other day so I guess I have the choice of replacing muffler or breathing CO. I'm thinking I could maintain and perhaps increase the power by replacing the muffler with something with less resistance than the stock unit, Is Flow Master a good choice? Other suggestions?

Any suggestions for muffler replacement, or am I better off with stock unit?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hey, very sorry that no one responded to you. If you are leaking and don't have anything to replace it with please don't drive it or have it patched with some muffler cement! Breathing that stuff in is bad for your health, even in low quantities.

Otherwise, what are you looking for? You want lower backpressure and increased performance? What type of sound do you want?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
A 36" Cherry Bomb tm offers little back pressure and are inexpensive. I run one on my gm v6 and it has a pleasing sound IMO.

Related Content You Might Like: