• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

What kind of oil is best for a Toyota pickup with a 22R engine?

GearHead

100 Posts
Currently I'm putting 10-30 in it, but am wondering if maybe this is a bit too light? I've heard from others that they put in 10-40. It's an old Toyota pickup with a lot of miles and I want to be sure to take care of the engine properly. Thanks!

cleaner199

I am the same. I have never found much of a different from brand to brand, and so go with the best value (not that the difference in price across the brands are much different)

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
When dealing with dino oil being the majority of oil comes from the same refinerys and only has minor amounts of differing chemicals from each manufacturer I normally buy the best priced.
My Harleys get H-D brand synthetic, but thats because I have friends working at the Harley dealership and they cut me a good price on case lots of oil, and with 2 Harleys I bought from them I also tend to buy a lot of parts from them.
On our new Chevys I've been using GM branded Synthetic, again it's a better price right now because all our oil changes are free for the first couple years.

tarheel

That is what I was thinking. It seems like the additives they put in them are for the most part to be able to be told apart from the competition, and not for any real value. My guess is you get some people buying the more expensive just because it is more expensive, and they feel like it might be a better product.

Hockridge

actually these engines do much better on a full synthetic 5w30.

depending on the mileage you want to run thicker oil to take up the worn 'play' in the motor, especially in warmer climates and the summer months. i use 3 quarts (give or take) of valvoline full synthetic (10w30) and one whole quart of lucas oil stablizer (non-synthetic). the lucas oil stablizer works wonders for the motor, i highly recomend that product.On older engines dont use synthetic.Castrol 10 w 30 is best choice.Slick 50 will help but not often.I have always used castrol from day one;that was 25 years ago.Engine is still going.
Car Performance Chip

tarheel

Well, yea, fully synthetic is a little different, although he said he had an older truck so synthetic wouldn't be the way to go.

I was more referencing brands of oils and the additives they put in to differentiate themselves from other oils that are at their base the same, not the merits of synthetic over non-synthetic.

balihaisen

100 Posts
A full synthetic 5w30 will do fine. I would suggest a Valvoline. Your engine will be roaring again.

suncomb1

I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my motor and Mobil 1 gear oil in my differentials, transmission and transfer case. I add B&G additive in the differentials because of the positraction units. I change the gear oils every 3 years.

Related Content You Might Like: