• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

What have you done to your Toyota lately?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Awhile back I added the RSi Smart Cap, bed stiffeners, and a Molle panel to our new(ish) TRD Pro. Then last week we drove to Pagosa Springs to soak in the not waters, and while driving through Durango a BIG rock came out of nowhere and broke our windshield. THAT really sucked.

Then on the way home, I wanted to try "Old Lime Creek Road" (4WD trail) for some fun. After completing 9-10 of the 12 mile trail, we hit gigantic piles of old drift snow that we just could not get through. Too early in the season. So we had to drive all the way back. Exciting trail too. VERY rocky, narrow, parts are a shelf road, with several rock slides where we had to get out and move rocks & downed trees to get through. A full-size truck would never have made it. Turning around on the shelf road section is impossible. Not as much fun as I thought--not again.

We moved this guy about 2 in (2).jpg

Moved this boulder 2" so we could get past the rock slide. Not easy.

Heavy duty Armco.JPG

Entering an easy stretch. Note the gigantic drop off to the right. At least 1000 feet, maybe more.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Awhile back I added the RSi Smart Cap, bed stiffeners, and a Molle panel to our new(ish) TRD Pro. Then last week we drove to Pagosa Springs to soak in the not waters, and while driving through Durango a BIG rock came out of nowhere and broke our windshield. THAT really sucked.

Then on the way home, I wanted to try "Old Lime Creek Road" (4WD trail) for some fun. After completing 9-10 of the 12 mile trail, we hit gigantic piles of old drift snow that we just could not get through. Too early in the season. So we had to drive all the way back. Exciting trail too. VERY rocky, narrow, parts are a shelf road, with several rock slides where we had to get out and move rocks & downed trees to get through. A full-size truck would never have made it. Turning around on the shelf road section is impossible. Not as much fun as I thought--not again.

View attachment 9919

View attachment 9920
WOW, that's crazy. Where is this again?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
The trail is in Southern Colorado, with access from Hwy 550 north of Durango. It bypasses Coal Bank Pass that the highway goes over. The Southern access point is just North of the Purgatory ski area. The Northern access point is between Coal Bank Pass and Molas Pass. We started at the Southern end and got almost to the Northern end. We could see Hwy 550 and hear the cars on it, but couldn't get through the massive snow drifts. Tried to go and got maybe 50 yards. Then started to sink in and got too much wheel spin, so immediately backed up in low range. Got out and walked maybe 1/4 mile on the snow and saw a gigantic drift that we could NEVER get over. That made the decision to go back very easy. Had we gotten stuck, there would have been NO help. Just lots of digging snow--no thanks. That's one trail I won't try again, snow or no snow.

Almost down.JPG

Walking back from the recon of the snow.
P5070039 (2).JPG

One of the "better" stretches of the trail. Note the early Armco.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Guard rails. I think Armco is the company that makes them. Like Kleenex.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I see. Love those carved out rocks. They have them in all of the PNW national parks.

Related Content You Might Like: