• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

MY RIDE Well, heres the beast.

Xmsteel

At first I wasn't going to post a picture of my eyesore, but now I guess I will, why not?
Baby has a new clutch, starts every time, and has a new stereo system, so heck.

Here's the real big eyesore:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Not an eyesore, just well worn and well used.

Having lived in Western Washington for 12 years, you'd better take care of those leaks or they're going to come looking for you for enviro-damage. :)

Xmsteel

Not an eyesore, just well worn and well used.

Having lived in Western Washington for 12 years, you'd better take care of those leaks or they're going to come looking for you for enviro-damage. :)
Surprisingly the East side doesn't care about all the environmental stuff like the West does.

Lets just say it looks better in pictures... Its 90% rattle canned.

Xmsteel

As far as I know its just motor oil.
We know for sure its leaking from the valve gasket. Possibly from a main seal but we don't know that for sure.

Tightening down the valve cover seemed to slow some of the leaking down. The underside of the truck is so wet and nasty that my guess is 60% or more is just old oil that's dripping off.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm never one to suggest that you put in some oil additives without knowing that you're going to shorten the life of the engine, but have you considered adding a thickening agent and/or thicker oil than recommended for the summer. I can imagine that it's going to flow more when it's 100F up there in the hottest part of the summer.

Xmsteel

I'm never one to suggest that you put in some oil additives without knowing that you're going to shorten the life of the engine, but have you considered adding a thickening agent and/or thicker oil than recommended for the summer. I can imagine that it's going to flow more when it's 100F up there in the hottest part of the summer.
I've used Barhdal Stop Leak on multiple vehicles and it seems to work well (as far as doing what it says it will).
I did have some seafoam run through, but that was more for stabilizing the engine.

Note: I also believe it is leaking the most from the oil pan gasket.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
your truck looks to be in very good shape for its age. A relative and certified toyota junkie recommended "Right Stuff" for sealant. Its all they use in there shop and I have had great success with the product sealing up oil pans, timing chain covers.

Xmsteel

your truck looks to be in very good shape for its age. A relative and certified toyota junkie recommended "Right Stuff" for sealant. Its all they use in there shop and I have had great success with the product sealing up oil pans, timing chain covers.

I'll look into it. I just don't know how I'd manage to use it with nothing but bottle jacks.

Brad

100 Posts
I can only say it looks worn out and as if it has had its time. For a vehicle of its age, it looks in pretty good shape.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, don't get under your truck if you jack it up and don't have something to keep it up in case the jacks fail. That being said, you can probably get some jack stands or ramps for not much money that will allow you to get underneath and apply the fix.

They range from about $20-30 range ...

http://www.zoro.com/g/00108487/k-G3...fBpIi6dMyyaRVRkhd-VCFosRHq7eMlAA6bCG_JDPw_wcB

To the $40 to $50 range ...

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/v...czrFKtnwLur1H4Biz4PEx6ejITTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

... and up from there, but those look like they're probably a good start. Of course read the descriptions and make certain that they're a good fit for your truck.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Read the label on those jack stands....they warn not to go under vehicle while on the stands...I was having a slow day and read the labels on my set of 10 ton Napa jack stands...seemed odd but I guess that's for liability purposes.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Read the label on those jack stands....they warn not to go under vehicle while on the stands...I was having a slow day and read the labels on my set of 10 ton Napa jack stands...seemed odd but I guess that's for liability purposes.
Really? That's probably one of those "check with your doctor first" types of labels. What are jack stands supposed to be used for then? lol

Related Content You Might Like: