• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Waxes? What's the best wax for my Toyota Truck?

Ranger

I have always had my truck washed and waxed at a car wash or by a detailer but Im wanting to start doing it myself to save a few bucks. Whats the best wax, what do you use? What should I avoid? Im willing to spend a little bit of time but I dont want to spend all day or anything.

ToyotaTacoma_RightSide.jpg

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I normally use Turtle wax
I was told by a proffessional detailer a while back that you always want to use a wax with Carnuba or Synthetic Polymers in it, the reason is because Carnuba or Synthetic Polymers are much smaller than other chemicals used to make wax, it fills in all the millions of microscopic size holes and pits that make up the paint system surface and create the high shine everyones after.
Also by filling in these holes it makes it harder for contaminants to hold on to the paint ensuring contaminants (dirt, road debris, bird poop, etc.) and water slide right off the paint system.
I always like to use a synthetic spray on wax everytime I wash the vehicles, the one I use most often is Eagle one, it's sprayed on while the vehicle is still wet from washing, you then wipe it off by drying. It wont replace waxing your vehicle twice a year but it does keep it looking much better and helps it stay cleaner between wax jobs. Look around theres a lot of other products like this on the market.

Last edited:

Ranger

I always thought of turtle wax as a cheapo non professional grade wax. I will look into it though now that you recommending it. Where do you buy the Eagle one?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
A lot of it depends on the age of your paint and the quality of the clear-coat.

Years ago, paint jobs didn't last forever. Back then it was very important to put on a very good wax on a regular basis to help protect the paint. Nowadays, it's not all that important to do that because of the high quality clearcoats that come from the faxtory. However, there are new products to help clean, protect and showcase your vehicle's finish.

I think the idea of the smaller particle size makes sense, I'll have to look into that.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Eagle One Products are available at most Auto Parts Stores and Walmarts.
They have a pretty good line of interior cleaners and preservatives too.
I use a leather cleener and conditioner they make on my wifes car seats, in Texas the heat is terrible on leather seats but by keeping them clean and conditioned I havent had the normal cracking and peeling issues, after 4 years they still look new and unworn.
Another trick I learned when cleaning wheels and wheel wells, during washing do a light scrub on the tires and wheel wells with a scrub brush, then rinse, after drying the truck use a can of cheap spray/foaming tire shine, spray the tire and wheel well liberally (I normally use one can to cover two tires/wheel wells) let it do its job, now when you look at the truck the tires and wheel wells will look nice and clean, also for the next few weeks any water you run over will rinse down the wheel wells and continue to keep them clean, if your an off-roader and decide to hit the dirt or mud when you get home whatever mud managed to stay in the wells will rinse out easily.
I dont detail my off-road trucks, but a trick I use on them, especially in the winter is to get a bottle of baby oil, put it in a spray bottle and spray down the wheel wells, under carriage, and lower body panels with it, after a romp through the mud or a drive through dust and dirt everything rinses off easily. Baby oil is water soluable so it takes all the dirt away with it and its slick enough to stop most contaminants from being able to hold on.

antonino

100 Posts
Turtle wax works great.. And it's cheap too. That's the next best thing to free - cheap!

danstpierre

100 Posts
Turtle wax.. Great, and the shine lasts.. Protects you truck's paint too. I'm not a salesrep of Turtle Wax, but I'd been using this eversince.

Related Content You Might Like: