• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Want to dress up a 86 4X4

snoopy68

I am new up here but my son just got his first truck, a 86 4X4 Toyota with a 22R. I would like to dress it up for him and toughen it up at the same time. I am looking for advice on push bars, belly pans, Nerf bars roll bars, tool boxes. Would also like to look into a locking diff. Any advice on where to get this stuff, what is the best to get etc. would be great. This boy loves to play in the mud and I think it's a great way to keep him out of trouble and I get to ride too! I am a retired mechanic and love spending time with him working on his truck just need to find the parts and what works the best. Figured you guys would know. Thanks

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
86 is a great year Toyota truck, unfortunately you wont find many aftermarket parts for them these days.

Heres a few manufacturers still making parts, beware they wont be cheap!!

https://www.allprooffroad.com/

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/parts-suppliers-19411.html

This really might be a great time to teach him about fabricating your own parts, and a great excuse for you to buy those new tools you've always wanted.

Roll Bars are almost non-existant now days, most go with in cab cages, roll bars as they used to be known are now called "Light Bars" since their built so flimsy they wouldnt hold-up in a roll over and mfgrs dont want to get sued.

I've only seen a few trucks of that yr/model with belly pans and they were all custom made.

For a push bar I'd probably look at local swap meets and flea markets then modify it to fit.

Nerf Bars are still available but for real durability I'd look at sliders or rock bars, theres a few mfgrs that sell them but if you search the internet you'll probably be able to find plans to build your own, I've made more than a few pairs, the most important items needed are the truck to fit them on, tube stock (I prefer round 2" cold rolled) a tube bender, welder (mig, stick, or gas will work fine, mig is quickest though) chop saw, tape measure, angle finder, and a few other assorted tools.

Dont know if you have a Tractor Supply near by but they have a great extruded aluminium tool box that fits in the back of these trucks. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tracto...d-aluminum-crossover-truck-box-silver-1091800

ARB makes probably the best locker out for the Toyota r/r axle but it isnt cheap and you gotta add the cost of an air compressor, while the air compressor is worht its weight in gold when it comes time to air up the tires (the mfgr also thinks it's worht its weight in gold) I have a hard time paying their asking prices.
You could go with a Lincoln Locker but that brings about it's own set of issues like no selectability which increases tire wear, on the road it can have quirky handling issues, and the rear diff pinion gets worn (most times broken) quicker.

The 22R is a perfect engine for a little mud runner as it doesnt mind putting out high RPM's all day long, a great addition to boost its performance is a header, performance wires/ignition module/cap/rotor, and a webber carb, side draft models work real good but any model webber is an improvement over the factory Mikuni (its not a bad carb the webber just does better).

Swapping the frt and r/r springs for a set of F/S Chevy 63" springs off a mid 90's Chevy will give the suspension great flex and a lot better ride, also a few inch's of lift for so you can stick 33-35" tires under without trimming or body lifts.

Did I mention I've had 9 of these trucks over the years, the only reason I ever got rid of any of them was because I flat wore them out off-roading, they went to the scrappers when I got done with them, their great off-road trucks and can take a beating more than most trucks,

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
Please take the before and after pictures of this project!

I've never seen belly pans for that model at all. They would probably need to be custom made.

snoopy68

Custom made is what I would like him to learn. I have supplied the oxygen/acetelyn torch, a big arc welder and a brand new Miller 211 Mig welder with the Aluminum spool gun for him to work with. Hopefully he will get some ideas from this forum and you all to go with.

FourWD

I would love to see pictures of what you end up getting. Toolboxes are pretty much a must have for pickups in my honest opinion. Not just for the fact that you can bring tools around with you, it also adds a valuable storage space to the back of your truck, and keeps things safe from the weather.

Definitely go with custom made for a lot of the other add-ons. Learning how to weld with aluminum is pretty valuable - not many people can do it. It can also be a great father-son learning experience.

supernovax3

100 Posts
It might be a good idea to get a cab as well. You guys could go camping or fishing and safely pack all your stuff.

Related Content You Might Like: