• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

W56 Tranny Shift Issue, etc

Ronald Keysor

First I apologize somewhat for venturing into the Toyota Truck web site, as I'm kind of an outlier in the Toyota world. I recently purchased an Austin Healey 3000 that has a Toyota transmission installed to replace the very heavy and fussy original unit. This is regarded as a significant upgrade to Healey owners not totally dedicated to originality. A local mechanic who examined the Toyota box tells me that it is a W56, and I think that's correct. Though I'm very experienced with manual transmissions, I am unable to consistently find the gears in the Toyota box. Getting first is very problematic, reverse almost impossible, and the shift from 4th to 5th invariably gets 3rd. In other words, the car is almost undriveable. There is simply no feel to the shifter, and I have no idea what gear will be there when I release the clutch. A local car restoration guy, a very skilled individual, talked to his transmission friend and then attempted a fix. This involved replacing (not really as he said the original wasn't present) the nylon seat that the shift lever ball rests in. He thought that would solve the problem, but it had not noticeable affect. So, I'm thinking something is wrong in the shifting mechanism after the shift lever engagement point. I should add that the clutch works perfectly well, ditto the synchronizers, and I have yet to knock a gear while shifting. Anyone have any experience with this condition?

Next, can anyone recommend a Toyota gear box technician in the Jacksonville, FL, area.

And, is the fill plug the 17 mm bolt on the left side in the forward portion of the box, just forward of an electrical connection? And finally, I hope, what is the recommended lubricant? Thanks for indulging me.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site, I'll let someone who's closer to your location chime in on the technicial in Jax.

suncomb1

Your trans guy should have replaced the ball and seat at the same time. The set from Marlin Crawler (WEB site) is far superior to the stock Toyoya units and improves shiffting. The way you describe the trans operation, especially hitting third, sounds like your trans guy was heading in the right direction-slop in the shifter. When you put a Toyota trans in another car you want to consider the amount of shifter throw room that you will have. I would also look at the W56 short throw shifter kit from Marlin Crawler as well. By the way, the W56 was primarily a truck transmission (long throw) even though it was used in other model Toyotas. Ask Marlin Crawler about your Fill and Drain plugs on a W56 as they will know. I hope this helps you to some degree

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Gotta agree with suncomb on this. Im just guessing the trans guy isnt a Toyota enthusiest. With older trucks this is a popular fix and mod on the transmissions. If Marlin and co cant give you insight id be extremely surprised

Ronald Keysor

I was told my transmission was a W56 by the mechanic who replaced the nylon ball socket. Since the tranny is completely exposed in my car, I examined it today against the 20 Toyota boxes shown on the Marlin Crawler web site with the intention of ordering a short shift kit. However, while the front section of my box is like most of these trannys, including the various versions of the W56, it is unlike any of those shown at the Crawler site. Mine has the six-bolt box at the top rear, but the rear edge of that box ends at the very rear of the the casting. Most, including both two and four speed versions, have a flat area about two inches long behind the six-bolt box. It ends with a black tubular section immediately in front of the universal joint, as seen on a couple of the Crawler Toyota transmissions. The port where the gear lever inserts is at the very front of the six-bolt top box, with a long section of that box tapering down to the rear. The shift lever is held in place by a ring that I believe has to be rotated to remove the shifter, not the four screws seen in a You Tube video of a guy installing an LC Engineering (LCE) short shift kit. That was going to be my source for the short-shift kit. I will get a photo of my gear box in the hope someone can identify it. Likely one of the numerous kits LCE offers will fit.

suncomb1

LC Engineering has quality products. Talk to John in Tech and send him a photo of the trans, if anyone can help you John can. I know this might sound dumb but are you sure it is a Toyota trans? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine has a MG Midget and he just installed a Datsun / Nissan 5 speed trans. The adapter kit he purchased was from a company that specializes in Britsh cars; MG, Triumph, Healey, etc. Many Toyota, Nissan, Masada and other Japanese transmissions are made by the same vendor and have similar features.

Ronald Keysor

The front end of the gear box is identical to many of the Toyotas pictured on the Marlin Crawler Web site, and my mechanic bought the Toyota part he put in the shifter mechanism, identifying the tranny as a W56. Further, the bell housing as the name Smitty cast in, the name used by the people who provide the kits to install Toyotas in Healeys. I will take a photo of the gear box and send it to LC Engineering. I appreciate all of the help members have provided, and I'll report the eventual solution.

Ronald Keysor

I did get in touch with LC Engineering, but I also took off the top of the tranny and discovered the nylon seat--the one in the tower that holds the shift lever ball--had totally perished. Not a piece larger than a grain of rice. I replaced that piece today, about $13. That instantly restored the shift function, and I don't think I will need the short shifter. Still need to know, is the fill plug the 17 mm bolt on the forward left side of the tranny just forward of an electrical connection.? I put a wrench on it today, and it is really tight. Don't want to break it loose if it isn't the filler. Thanks for the help.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I did get in touch with LC Engineering, but I also took off the top of the tranny and discovered the nylon seat--the one in the tower that holds the shift lever ball--had totally perished. Not a piece larger than a grain of rice. I replaced that piece today, about $13. That instantly restored the shift function, and I don't think I will need the short shifter. Still need to know, is the fill plug the 17 mm bolt on the forward left side of the tranny just forward of an electrical connection.? I put a wrench on it today, and it is really tight. Don't want to break it loose if it isn't the filler. Thanks for the help.

Great to hear from you, so you have fix already the issues?

Related Content You Might Like: