• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Using your GPS Safely

Truckin

I found this on another site, I think it's pretty important.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/driving-safety-tips-using-your-gps-safely.html

Driving Safety Tips: Using Your GPS Safely

A global positioning system, or GPS, can help you navigate your automobile through various situations. Whether you are driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood, searching for an alternative route during a traffic jam or embarking on a cross-country jaunt, a GPS can be a valuable tool. However, using any electronic device while driving can be a distraction and increase the risk of an accident. Stay safe while using your GPS by following these helpful tips:

Position your GPS appropriatel - The best place to install your GPS is on your windshield. However, this is not legal in all states, so be sure to check your state laws regarding mouting items to car windshield before getting started. If it is legal, attach your GPS to the front windshield of your car, beneath your rearview mirror, slightly below eye level. To view the GPS screen, you should look down and to the right. If you place your GPS unit on the dashboard or the console, it could take your eyes too far off the road to be considered safe.

Choose your settings - Program your GPS settings in advance. For example, if your GPS offers different voices for audio instructruction, choose one that is pleasing to you. Also, set your GPS to the view that you prefer, whether it’s the street view, or eagle eye. Finally, adjust the volume so it’s loud enough for you to hear clearly.

Understand the direction - Carefully read the directions before starting your trip, even if it’s over a short distance, to gain a mental picture of the direction you are headed. Review the map and take note of highway exit numbers and street names you will need to remember.

Stop to check your route - If you need to check your directions, wait until you reach a rest stop or gas station. Or, ask a passenger to operate your GPS and guide you in the correct direction.

Rely on the voice- Rather than focusing on the GPS screen, listen to the voice. It may take some time to become comfortable relying soley on audio-based directions. However, it helps minimize the distraction of a GPS by allowing you to keep your eyes focused where they should be - on the road. In addition, a GPS with Bluetooth capability can connect to your mobile phone, allowing you to make and receive calls hands-free.

Stay hands-free - GPS applications for mobile phones can be tempting, because they combine the advantages of a GPS with the convenience of your cell phone, so you only need to buy and carry one device. Unfortunately, most GPS phone applications are not a good solution for drivers because they are:
•Difficult to mount within an acceptable line of vision
•Challenging to read because of smaller screens
•Missing a voice feature

Now that you understand how to use your GPS safely while driving, you should be prepared to navigate through any situation - whether it’s just across town, or across the country. Before you get behind the wheel, make sure that you have an auto insurance policy that protects you, and your investment. Contact a reputable company like Nationwide Insurance for great rates and coverage options.

By Mary Malbasa

vertigosolitary

I don't know about all of you, but my eyes seem fixated on the GPS screen. It's a bad habit, but I like to think I know exactly where I am at all times. There's been many times where even if the voice assistance is all the way up and I don't see the screen, I'll still get lost. What do you guys think? Are you all the same way?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I don't know about all of you, but my eyes seem fixated on the GPS screen. It's a bad habit, but I like to think I know exactly where I am at all times. There's been many times where even if the voice assistance is all the way up and I don't see the screen, I'll still get lost. What do you guys think? Are you all the same way?
It's not such a big deal for me. I can usually go back and forth between the screen and watching the road. I guess it depends if I'm doing city driving, like downtown ... going to a school or a busy parking lot ... or out on the open or semi-open road too.

danstpierre

100 Posts
The first thing you have to know is "how to use your gadget". Without this knowledge, you can throw away your GPS! And rely on you good 'ol brain instead.

Daniel

I'm not that into using GPS unless I absolutely have to. Most of the time I know how to go where I wanna go, though.

supernovax3

100 Posts
I don't have a GPS but I think these tips are very important for anyone who does. I usually use my phone if I'm travelling somewhere unfamiliar, which DOES have a voice feature (contrary to what the article says), so I rarely have to look at it. However, in the best case scenario, I have a copilot feeding me directions.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Me also I don't have any GPS in my truck, but if I want to traveling to unfamiliar place, I use google map first, to know how far it is? what are the possible route? and I usually print it and when the time I go to that place I always ask other people on the street about the location.. hehehe

Related Content You Might Like: