• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Upgrading motor / engine in Toyota Tacoma to 4.6 or 4.7 V8?

crazy armenian

Hi everyone,
New to the site. Just curious, has anyone ever swapped their 4.0 for a 4.6 or4.7 Toyota V8? I pull a pontoon boat and would like a few more ponies on occasion. I would like to upgrade the sound system too. Any ideas?
I have a 2011 quad cab 4x4 SR5.
Thanks

crazy armenian

Hi there, the boat weight is around 1100lbs but there is usually camping gear involved too. I live in upstate NY and like a couple of lakes in the Adirondack mans. Boat access only camping, the only way to go. Not real serious yet about the motor change just curious if it's been done. I know that supercharging is an option too but not sure in the long run if that is good for the motor.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I know of three engine swaps in 2009 and up Tacoma trucks, all three are friends/aquaintances.
Two have swapped to the 4.7, time and money involved to get both trucks running and legally compliant has made both owners wish
they chose supercharging and related mods over the engine swap.
A third truck is running a 1967 Corvette 327 with the three deuce carb option. Again the engine alone was a fortune, swappong in took over 18 months and required a new trans/t-case to work properly. The whole truck computer system was removed and most power functions had to be rewired. And yes after all that, including a suspension lift the truck is run on trails monthly.
Years ago I chose supercharging on my 99 and at over 140k its still running great.
When I bought my 2011 Tacoma DC 4.0 4x4 I went the same route with supercharging, I put 72k problem free miles on it before selling.
Supercharging is a very viable way to go, just look into mods such as 7th injector and engine/computer tuning.

Related Content You Might Like: