• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Trying to upgrade the front brakes on an '88 pickup, pads don't fit.

YotaBerries

I ordered a 86-95 4WD Pickup Front Upgrade kit for my '88 Toyota 4x4 3.slow, and the pads didn't fit. Contacted the company, and they told me I need pads for a 1989?
Truck was built in Mar of '88, any idea why there's any difference, or which performance calipers and pads I can use?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Over the many years and many Toyotas we have owned, my experiences indicate that Toyota frequently makes changes to their vehicles in mid-year. I have also found that Rock Auto seems to be on top of most of these changes and can tell you exactly what to look for before you order parts. This is especially true with brake system components. Good luck!

YotaBerries

Ordered a set of ceramic pads for an '88 4x4 standard cab on ebay, and they're too small again. This is maddening. Mid year? like after June?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
If you haven't owned your truck since it was new, who knows what has been done to it by previous owners? Maybe newer calipers from a later model truck? There's a code cast/stamped on the caliper(s). Find this code, write it down, and start researching when/where the calipers were used.

As an example of Toyota insanity, our 2015 Land Cruiser (Oct/Nov 2014 production) had the TPMS from 2014, which was totally different from the 2015 system. Took the management at Discount Tire about 2 hours to figure this out.

Also, on our 2002 Tundra, there were two different calipers used on the front of the truck. Pads were NOT interchangeable. Had to order the correct pads according to the code on the calipers.

YotaBerries

I've now replaced the calipers to the correct year, and have been told once again, by another shop, that the pads don't fit. Loosing my mind. Going to have to sell the truck because I can't replace the freaking brakes. This is ridiculous.

Related Content You Might Like: