• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Transmission

pipes445

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this whole having a classic Toyota experiance, I have a 1983 toyota pickup 4wd with the 22r and a manual 5 speed. Recently when heading home, the trans dropped 5th gear, then 4th. This was not the original trans from '83, and I figured it was about time to change it anyway, so what trans should be in this truck? I have seen anything from an L52 to a W56 going into these trucks and was pretty confused as to which one to order. The truck is sitting on 33' tires, but is stock other than that, if that helps.

jimmyjim

the online data on these transmissions is incomplete for sure. if you have another vehicle available, you can pull the bad one out, and take the mounting measurements.
that and the overall length, plus look at the part between the box and the rear extension.
unfortunately, for unknown reasons, toyota did not stamp the part number model number on these transmissions. make sure the replacement has the same shift lever mounting housing, at the top, or you will have to modify the floor metal to make it fit. you can maybe find one at a u pull and pay pretty cheap. or you can maybe find one of those independent transmission shops that will tear it down and repair it? blew out 2nd gear on my datsun once, pulled the trans, tore it down, took the bad gear to such a shop. they let me look through a box of loose gears. found a match, had it all back together and installed before dark. it was a long summer saturday, back around 95. in so cal. anyway good luck with finding what you need.

Related Content You Might Like: