• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Transmission Swap - Auto To Manual

Super Stock

Hey'all I'm working an a transmission swap. The truck is a 1992 V6 Xtra cab. The original transmission was a A340E. The new transmission is a W59. Currently I'm waiting on a bell housing to come in. I have: the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw out (release) bearing, and clutch release fork. I'm shopping for: the master/slave cylinders, clutch pedal, and hydraulic line. The clutch master needs to be for a '92, and the slave needs to be for a Tacoma (whatever had the W59).
Here's what I need to sort out: I know the intermediate shaft of the driveline will need to be lengthened. If I use a spacer, the transmission mount will need to move forward. The other option is to either have the driveline's intermediate shaft lengthened (that's the part in front, between the carrier bearing and the tranny) or buy one that will fit. I don't know if there is one out there from another truck that is the correct size. The truck's computer will be looking for the shift solenoids, so something will need to be done about that. Perhaps, it'll need some resistors in place of them, or I'll replace the ECU. Is there an ECU? If so where is it? I know the safety switch needs to be in "Park" or "Neutral" and left plugged in.
Please chime in with suggestions. Also, I have not been able to locate any posts on-line that address this specific swap, so please post links if you know of one. Cheers, folks!

Attachments

Super Stock

Just got an estimate from my local driveline shop -- $300 to replace the tube on the intermediate shaft. The carrier bearing would be replaced as well, so not much of the original would be used. I would still rather use an intermediate shaft of the correct length than a spacer. I would likely need to gusset and weld the transmission mount 2" forward otherwise. Can anyone tell me where I could find one? Current measurement is 36" from bearing end to the center of the U-joint. I don't know what length the new one would need to be, guessing about 38". Will a driveline from a 1988-1994 Xtra cab 4-cylinder fit and/or what is the length?

If you have a manual transmission X-cab between 1988 and 2004, please post what transmission you have and the measurement between the centerline of the U-joint to the end of the carrier bearing. This will give an accurate measurement for the intermediate shaft without having to take it out. This will also help anyone doing this conversion in the future.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: