• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

transmission plugs aftermarket?

paulmars

2003 toyota tacoma 2wd 5sp 2.4L

the transmission drain and fill plugs have very shallow hex heads and no matter how hard I try, my socket has slipped off several times rounding the corners. id like to get plugs with better heads. Does anyone know what might fit? I like the never toyota Allen heads, but Id settle for a standard hex head. What is the bolt diameter, the thread count and length? Id rather not have to use them one more time, so checking when they are out next time might mean using them again. Also, I have no access to dies to measure these.

Ive asked toyota, but as usual, they are no help. Ive asked a few aftermarket automotive parts makers, but again no help.

pa

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
One thing to remember: Toyota consistently uses steel plugs in aluminum housings and aluminum plugs in steel housings. this prevents the plugs from rusting/corroding by using dissimilar metals. Also, I have never had any slippage problems when using the proper size socket (six-sided only) or allen wrench--maybe I've just been lucky. Be sure to buy & use new gaskets whenever you remove a plug. And don't over-tighten.

Tony TRD

Hope you are using a quality socket. I would not try to remove any Allen or Torx style plug unless I was using a Snap On or MAC tool designed for the job. Anything made in China is total garbage and only good for a sinker on a fishing line. I wouldn’t waste my money on Chinese made crap !!

Related Content You Might Like: