• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Trans Downshift ~ Tacoma 2017 Sr5 V6 Automatic

Old School.

Just got the Tacoma 2017 SR5 v6 automatic double cab a month ago. New to the Toyota world. Noticed when the truck is cold and slowing to a stop a big clunck in the engine gearing down. Also seems like the trans slips and hesitates when accelerating from 10 mph Spracticly never can tell when it will hapen. Dealer told me the clunking was a pretty common thing. Anyone else have the same symptons?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I have been reading / hearing about others with pretty much the same problem. Wonder if there is a TSB for this issue. May want to try another dealer to see if they will check it out.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I'm gonna throw this out, I don't have experience with the 2017 models, but, what your describing really sounds a lot like the input shaft issue GM has had over the years.
You up for trying to liberally lube the input shaft and see if that makes a difference.

Old School.

I emailed the Toyota owners website at 7am this morning and basicly told them about the problems on my new truck. At 11:30am i recived a call from corp and they said they were sorry to hear of my situation and are going to have a case manager call me back before the end of the business day tomorrow to help me cure the problems. That was a unexpected call. Well see what happens between tomorrow and monday? I will suggest all the ideas from you guys to the dealer on Saturday. Thanks.

Old School.

I have been reading / hearing about others with pretty much the same problem. Wonder if there is a TSB for this issue. May want to try another dealer to see if they will check it out.
What does TSB stand for?
I will suggest the TSB to the dealership.

Old School.

I'm gonna throw this out, I don't have experience with the 2017 models, but, what your describing really sounds a lot like the input shaft issue GM has had over the years.
You up for trying to liberally lube the input shaft and see if that makes a difference.
I will also suggest your thought on it too.

Old School.

At Dealership just finished road test with service tech. He actually felt the clunk in the down shift. He also said there may be a TSB Update and the trans slipping could be due to low fluid in trans so when the engine is cold the low fluid has not expanded enough and as turning a corner the fluid moves to one side. In both case seneros the trans would slip. That makes sense to me. He also said the poor acceleration going up hill is the deley in the computer telling the trans to kick in from a higher gear to a lower gear back to a higher gear for speed. He also said the older tocomas had a 4.0 liter engine the new ones have a 3.5 liter a big gap in power. I can see now that if the main computer goes bonkers get a new truck.
2,100 miles on mine currently.

Old School.

Just got my Truck back. WOW what a difference. You were right Tibadoe TSB abnormal shifting caused by ECM software logic. they updated software and did a flash on the main computer. drives real nice now drove it 15 miles without a symptom of anything. Trans oil was at correct level.
Kudos to you Tibadoe. I did learn about the recall on all the leaf springs though on 2016s

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Just got my Truck back. WOW what a difference. You were right Tibadoe TSB abnormal shifting caused by ECM software logic. they updated software and did a flash on the main computer. drives real nice now drove it 15 miles without a symptom of anything. Trans oil was at correct level.
Kudos to you Tibadoe. I did learn about the recall on all the leaf springs though on 2016s
That's awesone. Did they give you a copyramid of the tsb number to share?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Good deal! Glad it's shifting like it should be.

Just for future reference you may want to sign up on the Toyota Owners web site with you VIN#. This will keep you updated on recalls, log miles, manuals, and other goodies. Give it a shot.

Old School.

I am signed up with the Toyota owners website. Thats how i got Corporate to call me there are no notices on the site yet.
As a matter of fact Corporate is supposed to call me Monday for a follow-up.

Old School.

That's awesone. Did they give you a copyramid of the tsb number to share?
Yes they did Toyota fan and all who are interested. ( TC 1601 Reprogram ECM (PMC) 997923 W ) Next ( 21746 Abnormal Shifting Caused by ECM Software Logic) Next ( TSB 0077-16 ) that's all the codes that is on the report.

Old School.

Damn! Clunk back! This time only when the Toco sits overnight and its cold can i replacate it. So back to the drawing board. 16th back to dealer tech. Corp still with me on case!

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Has your truck been to the dealer 16 times for this same issue ? If so, you can invoke the lemon law, but you may have a fight on your hands. If you want the truck replaced, you have to be insistent on that. A good dealer wants there customers to be happy at the end of the day. They want repete business, but it is not easy to get the dealer to take back a sold truck or car, but it does happen.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Damn! Clunk back! This time only when the Toco sits overnight and its cold can i replacate it. So back to the drawing board. 16th back to dealer tech. Corp still with me on case!
Has the dealer checked the transmission fluid level? Though I heard there was an issue on under filled transmissions on a group of VIN's. May want to ask. Transmission has to be cold to start with and warmed up to a certain temp and checked to be accurate.

Old School.

Has your truck been to the dealer 16 times for this same issue ? If so, you can invoke the lemon law, but you may have a fight on your hands. If you want the truck replaced, you have to be insistent on that. A good dealer wants there customers to be happy at the end of the day. They want repete business, but it is not easy to get the dealer to take back a sold truck or car, but it does happen.
This will only be the second time to the dealership. Under the Lemon law the dealer gets a reasonable amount of times to fix the same problem whatever reasonable is ? Then the Corporation or manufacturing company buys back the car or pays the lien holder off and usually gives the customer some type of compensation for the trouble . So i have a ways to go.

Related Content You Might Like: