• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Truck And T100 Rust

T100Nate

New to forum...

Folks. I used to have a 1993 Toyota truck and it rusted like crazy. Of course I lived in Maryland for a while, so salt, salt, salt.

I now own a 1998 T100. It hasn't rusted much, but I live in an area now with less salt. My truck is green, 4x4, 5-speed. I like it. I added Warn lockout hubs...T100s didn't come that way.

Nate

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site. Better clear coats are the reason for that. How many miles?

Lon Ross

New to forum...

Folks. I used to have a 1993 Toyota truck and it rusted like crazy. Of course I lived in Maryland for a while, so salt, salt, salt.

I now own a 1998 T100. It hasn't rusted much, but I live in an area now with less salt. My truck is green, 4x4, 5-speed. I like it. I added Warn lockout hubs...T100s didn't come that way.

Nate
While researching buying a used Toyota truck, I read from many T100 owners that their trucks did not rust out like many other early Toyota trucks did. Mine is from up north and is black with no clear coat, and yet, it has virtually no rust, even in the lower fenders, where they all seam to rust. The rear bumper has some rust, but it was the cheap black powder coated style and I bought new chrome ones cheap on ebay to install soon.

Lon Ross

Not uncommon to have rust over time on aNY vehicle actually.
True that, Most cars in Ohio where I lived you could see through the fenders after a few years of road salt LOL. That is what makes me respect how this T100 has held up with no rust on it. It has spent its whole life up north in Delaware, salt country, it didn't come to Florida till a few months ago. It seams like Toyota did a good job on these rust proofing, as I have read many others claim theirs have held up in the salt as well, and heard many of the Tacoma owners from the time complain about rust and paint failure, just what I have read, but seems to be true at least on this old girl.:)

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
One of the reasons the T100 didn't rust out like its early brethren is due to the fact many Toyota trucks/parts were shipped on car carriers across the Pacific, a 1 month cruise in a humid salty environment to the west coast for full assembly or final assembly. The T100 was stamped and assembled in the U.S. it didn't get that introduction to a bad environment.

Lon Ross

Mine says Made in Japan inside the door jam, and I think all the T100 were. I know I read Toyota had to pay a twenty five percent import tax on the T100's

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I know they paid a tax on complete drivetrains, but I for some reason under the impression body stamping and assembly was Fremont Ca. At the old Toyota u.s. truck assembly plant.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Called a friend thats worked for Toyota North America Corporate offices for the last 35 yrs.
He says from 1992-1996 T100 trucks were mfgr in Japan by the Hino truck plant at Atsugi Japan (Tokyo Prefecture).
1996-1998 they were produced in Indiana.
For a short period in 1996 both plants were producing trucks at the same time.
All frame and body parts were stamped, painted, and assembled on site in either plant.
The trucks mfgr in Japan were painted and assembled ready for sale, unlike earlier Delux trucks, which explains the differences with corrosion.

Lon Ross

Called a friend thats worked for Toyota North America Corporate offices for the last 35 yrs.
He says from 1992-1996 T100 trucks were mfgr in Japan by the Hino truck plant at Atsugi Japan (Tokyo Prefecture).
1996-1998 they were produced in Indiana.
For a short period in 1996 both plants were producing trucks at the same time.
All frame and body parts were stamped, painted, and assembled on site in either plant.
The trucks mfgr in Japan were painted and assembled ready for sale, unlike earlier Delux trucks, which explains the differences with corrosion.
Thanks! That makes me feel lucky I got one of the good ones. I was surprised at how rust free this truck is at twenty one years old and living it's whole life in salt, should be a good selling point too if I ever part with her:)

Related Content You Might Like: