• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

The Usual New Member ....

gene

Hi, I'm Gene.
My Dad the retired Mechanical Engineer passed away 2 years ago, and left me his beloved '91 extended cab pickup with 4-speed auto and 124K miles on it. He was the original owner.

He was a real stickler for proper maintenance and on-time, but, over the last 5-years he suffered from Alzheimer's and understandably let things slip, so I am having to play "catch up" to bring it back to where it should be.

I am in the process of getting it ready to pass the strict Calif smog test, and also researching everything about it. I've been wrenching since I was a pre-teen, (but I have never worked as a mechanic), and started by working on bicycles, then motorcycles, then 4-wheelers.

This is what my research has found out so far:
Fuel injected 22RE 2.4L engine, reputed to be one of the most reliable engines Toyota ever made.
A43D 4-speed automatic transmission
OBD1 computer.

This is what I've done so-far:
Changed out the plugs, (I was suprised by the deposits, (I wonder if he was running bad gas?))
Replaced various hoses that were cracked.
Replaced a bad alternator.
Replaced the PCV Valve.
Did a check on the computer, no codes set.

I hope to learn more here, and hopefully contribute something in return.

Last edited:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Knowing Ca smog checks from experience I'd recommend at this point get it checked, the best indicator if you have issues will be the test sheet with the results.

gene

Hi everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Just a update:

New distributor cap and rotor. New plug wires. Passed smog no problem, I am now driving it legally (lol)

A question. Does your truck make a grinding noise when going over a speed bump with the wheel all the way over to the left or right? Mine did, and I found out the reason, and the fix. At least on my truck, there is a left and right bolt head that is a steering stop and it has a a cheap plastic cap that fits over the bolt head. The cap is worn out, I bet a lot of members trucks here have the same problem. Two new ones cost me about $10 at the dealer and the problem is fixed. HINT: take your VIN number in with you to your Toyota dealer, they need that to find the proper ones.

Now, I have some questions:

What does everyone think of the A43D auto trans? Reliable?

The reason I want to start a discussion is my Dad apparently didn't keep up with the later trans oil change. The ATF doesn't smell burned, but is no longer pink. (I have no idea how long it's been in the tranny.) I am pulling the pan this weekend, hopefully there isn't any particles in the pan. I will replace or clean the filter also.

Assuming everything is ok, I want to do some light-duty towing in the future. What are your thoughts on this? I am thinking of getting a thermostatically-controlled ATF cooler.

Thanks for any replies.

Hi, I'm Gene.
My Dad the retired Mechanical Engineer passed away 2 years ago, and left me his beloved '91 extended cab pickup with 4-speed auto and 124K miles on it. He was the original owner.

He was a real stickler for proper maintenance and on-time, but, over the last 5-years he suffered from Alzheimer's and understandably let things slip, so I am having to play "catch up" to bring it back to where it should be.

I am in the process of getting it ready to pass the strict Calif smog test, and also researching everything about it. I've been wrenching since I was a pre-teen, (but I have never worked as a mechanic), and started by working on bicycles, then motorcycles, then 4-wheelers.

This is what my research has found out so far:
Fuel injected 22RE 2.4L engine, reputed to be one of the most reliable engines Toyota ever made.
A43D 4-speed automatic transmission
OBD1 computer.

This is what I've done so-far:
Changed out the plugs, (I was suprised by the deposits, (I wonder if he was running bad gas?)
Replaced various hoses that were cracked.
Replaced a bad alternator.
Replaced the PCV Valve.
Did a check on the computer, no codes set.

I hope to learn more here, and hopefully contribute something in return.

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I have no idea about the transmission for towing. I tow a 17' bowrider so about 2000lbs wet with the manual transmission in my truck. I would like to think the auto is quite capable of light towing and added transmission cooler cant hurt. The oil in your transmission is likely "vintage" if no burnt door.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The a43d auto was Toyota's go to automatic for trucks for a few years. It was at one time the only transmission you could get if you purchased a chassis cab or long bed dually 1ton Toyota truck, they didn't offer the 4/5 spd manual transmissions on these packages in the mid 80's as it was believed they couldn't withstand the abuse they were expected to. It was also used on the turbocharged trucks and for a while the only transmission available there too.

Related Content You Might Like: