• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Temp sensitive horn

BuffaloBill

My 1995 truck has a horn that works fine when it's above freezing but when it gets very cold the horn stops working. Not a peep, nothing. It's all or nothing. Anyone else have this happen? I suspect the horn relay.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
If you pull the supply wire @ the horn when it is not working, you can see (with a multi meeter or a test light) if it is getting voltage when the horn button is pressed in the cab. This will tell you if the relay is freezing, or if its the horn it self that is freezing up. Most horns are a thin metal disk that vibrates when current is applied. It may be.freezing inside the case IDK.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Many years ago I had a similar issue on a 1993 Chevy truck while stationed in Brussels.
It stays below freezing much of the winter in that region, so I had a non functioning horn for almost 6 months.
A local auto mechanic/neighbor knew the problem and how to fix it the moment I told him the issue.
He removed the horn, used a heat gun to warm it up, and dumped out the water that collected inside.
He also used dialectric grease on the connections to stop moisture issues.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Many years ago I had a similar issue on a 1993 Chevy truck while stationed in Brussels.
It stays below freezing much of the winter in that region, so I had a non functioning horn for almost 6 months.
A local auto mechanic/neighbor knew the problem and how to fix it the moment I told him the issue.
He removed the horn, used a heat gun to warm it up, and dumped out the water that collected inside.
He also used dialectric grease on the connections to stop moisture issues.
That's a GREAT story! I never knew that water could collect inside a horn. Seems so odd. I have Hella aftermarket horns on my vehicles, and have never had a temp-related problem with those (BTW- they are LOUD).

Related Content You Might Like: