• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller with Harness

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Been looking for a brake controller for my Tundra. My requirements were simple: Easy installation, stock OEM looks, OEM wiring plugs with no cutting or splicing vehicles wiring harness required. So this is what I found:

P3 Brake Controller & Harness combo from Amazon. Came with the wiring harness that plugs directly into the stock OEM harness plug & P3 Controller. No cutting or splicing of wires required. A quality well made product IMO.

P3 Brake Controller Mounting Kit from ESP Truck Accessories. This is a original OEM replacement panel from Toyota and modified by ESP. Allows you to mount the Prodigy P3 in the dash of 2014, 2015 & 2016 Tundra Trucks! Clean easy install without cutting dash. Color match perfect. Easier to see and access your trailer brake controller without any leg interference.

Ok.....P3 installation complete. Only took about 45 minutes - taking my time and some pictures. This is a quick & simple installation rundown:

As with any install - read entire instructions from start to finish. When you have a good mental picture you are ready to install:
1: Remove driver side sill plate by pulling up. Be careful not to break any plastic tabs.
2: Remove driver side kick plate by unscrewing plastic nut and sliding plate rearwards. Again, be careful not to break the two plastic slide tabs.
3: Remove the 2 10mm bolts that are holding the lower dash panel and carefully pull outwards. Start with bottom section of panel then top. Yet again, be careful not to break any plastic tabs or pull wiring.
4: Remove the right side upper dash trim plate by pulling outwards then unplug trac off & tow/haul switches.
5: Remove switches from original plate and snap into P3 Mounting Plate. Make sure you put switches back into the same locations.
6: Push the P3 Brake Controller into front side of P3 Mounting Plate and install the provided 2 screws into original mounting holes in P3 Brake Controller. These two screws secures brake controller in panel.
7: Plug in wiring harness (black flat plug) to rear of P3 Brake Controller. Route the wiring plug harness over to the kick panel side of vehicle. Plug in the trac off & tow/haul switch plugs.
8: Reinstall the P3 upper dash trim plate by aligning the four tabs and pushing plate until it snaps in place.
9: Locate pre-wired brake controller wire plug in kick panel area. Mine was hiding - electrical taped to side wire harness bundle. Un-tape it, plug in other end of brake controller harness (white square plug).

10: Reinstall lower dash panel and both 10mm bolts. Do not over tighten.
11: Loosen ground wire bolt to left of parking brake and attach ground wire.
12: Reinstall kick panel w/plastic nut. Finger tighten only.
13: Reinstall side sill plate.

Note: Set up P3 Brake Controller by following manufacturer instructions.

That's it! Easy install.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Nice, looking forward to it. Where are you planning on mounting, left or right of the steering wheel?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The panel from ESP replaces the original panel (with trac off & tow haul switches) on the right side of steering wheel.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Nice write-up. I assume that's a removable unit where you can pull it out of that socket?

What are you towing, by the way?
Thanks.........You can remove the P3 controller & wiring harness and reinstall the original panel which puts you back to stock if you wish.

Hope to be pulling a small 5th wheel camper when I get finished rebuilding it.

Last edited:

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If you install the two screws in the controller (step #6) on the back side of the panel it makes it difficult to remove without removing the panel again. If you install the unit without the two screws and just go with a friction fit then yes - removeable.

You can also install the controller using the included brackets in a different location and it is removable. The P3 even comes with a nice padded pouch to store and transport the unit in.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: